• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bet I live to 100

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_
    Who needs a pension?

Simply take out a bet now with a bookmakers that you will live to 65 (say 50/1 odds) and bet £10K.

If you make it, collect £500K pension fund. If not, who cares, you're dead!
    A remarkably good suggestion - one of the best I have read here.

Reminds me of those who believe in the Afterlife if they did and there is an Afterlife - then their efforts have not been in vain - if they die and there is no Afterlife - they will never know the better.

Comment

86% you would reach 65 from the age of 40. I'd give you odds of 6/50 of not making it.

www.gad.gov.uk/Life_Tables/docs/wltukm0305.xls
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

For all of you go-getters out there - working from contract to contract without taking holidays in some hellhole of an IT site living out of a suitcase in damp accomodation - beware

From Wilkiepedia ....

Recreation is essential to the longevity of human beings, especially because it helps counteract stress.

Today, according to Time magazine, stress is a major factor in many of the leading causes of death in the United States, including heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis of the liver and suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
          For all of you go-getters out there - working from contract to contract without taking holidays in some hellhole of an IT site living out of a suitcase in damp accomodation - beware
          [/B]
          Why would somebody get stressed reading and posting drivel on CUK forum all day .Taking holidays is so stressful in comparison. Book flights,acco. etc etyc

Comment

Working...
          X