• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gary Lineker tax IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Lineker tax IR35

Not only can he post what he wants on social media - he has won his IR35 case apparently
    He will be walking on water next.

"Gary Lineker has won his multi-year battle against HMRC, having been wrongly accused by HMRC of underpaying £4.9m in tax. The first-tier tax tribunal hearing for Gary Lineker's case was heard by Judge John Brooks on 18/19 Jan 2023, who released his decision on 28th March 2023 – the appeal was upheld, meaning HMRC were wrong to pursue him. Notably, the judge acknowledged that Lineker had paid all his taxes, saying: "For each tax year, Mr Lineker accounted for income tax and Class 4 NIC on the entirety of the income from his services, less a fixed amount of £30,000, paid to his then wife, Ms Bux (and on which she paid tax)."

I wonder if he got paid when told not to do MOTD that one week... would that itself be good for his IR35 status?

That said I thought BBC now enforced all 'talent' as inside IR35?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wonder if the whole debacle around his Twitter post almost proved he was in control and received no direction from the BBC.?

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
        I wonder if the whole debacle around his Twitter post almost proved he was in control and received no direction from the BBC.?
        I've been informed it was.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

ooh

silver bullet, criticise government policy on twitter Kerching!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            Not only can he post what he wants on social media - he has won his IR35 case apparently
            He will be walking on water next.
            Well he's got a golden boot....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Brilliant! The first thing I thought about when it happened... was I wonder if this will prove his case it certainly won't hurt! Well done Mr Lineker.

Comment

Reading this, it seems that he won because IR35 simply cannot apply to sole traders or...in this case, partnerships. I'm amazed HMRC even brought the case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65103265

Comment

One of the rare occasions I would have been on HMRC's side.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    One of the rare occasions I would have been on HMRC's side.
                    Why?

The BBC have no firm rules over use of social media by their freelancers unlike their employees.

So they can't have one rule for those who said things about Corbyn (when he was Labour leader) and another about the current government.

Comment

Working...
                    X