• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what to make of this one.

A woman walking on the path waves angrily at a cyclist who loses balance and stumbles into the road, resulting in a fatal accident.

I understand that the women waved and could have contributed to the cyclist losing control. But the cyclist was on a path that apparantly the police can't decide is a normal path or a cyclist path. Just seems strange she was convicted.

Woman, 49, convicted of manslaughter after raising her hand at elderly cyclist before collision | Daily Mail Online

She did more than wave at her.

Auriol Grey, 49, swiped angrily at 77-year-old Celia Ward and told her to 'get off the f****** pavement,' Peterborough Crown Court heard.
    I think manslaughter is about right. She didn't intend to kill her, but her actions did cause the accident.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      A woman walking on the path waves angrily at a cyclist who loses balance and stumbles into the road, resulting in a fatal accident.

I understand that the women waved and could have contributed to the cyclist losing control. But the cyclist was on a path that apparantly the police can't decide is a normal path or a cyclist path. Just seems strange she was convicted.

Woman, 49, convicted of manslaughter after raising her hand at elderly cyclist before collision | Daily Mail Online
      Everything you need to know is in the article - to summarise, "Aggressive Karen swears and threatens to attack old dear on a bicycle, ultimately causing her death".
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

It is tragic but handled totally wrong.

Sack the Police officers, if its a shared cycleway then they put up signs, it also has planning permission. If no signs as she is over 12 so the cyclist is breaking the law.

The pedestrian yelled at her (quite rightly as the Police will do sod all) to get off a pedestrian pavement. She didn't touch her.

The road is wide and there don't seem to be pot holes so it was safe to ride on it where cyclists have legal priority.

Surprised they didn't prosecute the driver for running over her.
        Last edited by vetran; 2 March 2023, 09:24.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's the CPS, judge and defence barrister you want to sack not the police.

The police only investigate there is a crime. It's up to the CPS to decide it is worth charging someone, that charge is in the public interest and that charge is likely to secure a conviction.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They have to identify if it is a crime. We can sack her lawyer as well.

1. If it is not clearly marked then its not a cycleway - was it clearly marked? I saw none on the video.
            2. If it is a pavement and she is over 12 she was breaking the law.
            3. Was the cyclist following these rules they must not?
            Ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner Road Traffic Act 1988
            Cycle on a pavement Highways Act 1835 section 72 as amended by section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888
            https://www.roadlawbarristers.co.uk/...y-to-cyclists/

Its all very sad but if the pavement is not a shared cycleway (no evidence in the video they draw pictures of cycles on them for the thickos) the the cyclist was breaking the law.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Sack the Police officers, if its a shared cycleway then they put up signs, it also has planning permission. If no signs as she is over 12 so the cyclist is breaking the law.
              So if you kill someone because they're breaking the law, that's less serious? Not really
              The pedestrian yelled at her (quite rightly as the Police will do sod all) to get off a pedestrian pavement. She didn't touch her.
              So basically vigilante justice led to a tragic death.

THe video shows that while there was no contact she did directly cause her to go into the road. If I run up behind you on a cliff-top walk and shout "BOO" and in shock you fall down, I am culpable.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                So if you kill someone because they're breaking the law, that's less serious? Not really

So basically vigilante justice led to a tragic death.

THe video shows that while there was no contact she did directly cause her to go into the road. If I run up behind you on a cliff-top walk and shout "BOO" and in shock you fall down, I am culpable.
                It doesn't make it less serious but it does make the other person less culpable.

From her point of view

After officers brought her in for questioning, Grey explained she was partially sighted and felt 'anxious' as the bicycle was travelling 'fast' in the middle of the pavement. She added that she could have lifted her hand 'unintentionally'.
                The Cyclist could have prevented this a number of ways and she has a lower priority on the pavement even a shared one.

a. She could have stopped when encountering an obstacle.
                b. She could have ridden on the road.
                c. She could of slowed so they didn't meet at a pinch point (street light).

This is what I do when meeting people with prams walking towards me 6 abreast across the clearly marked cycle way.

Apparently its all the pedestrian's fault and she really is Charles Bronson!

Who has priority on a pedestrian pavement?

Comment

I understand exactly what all have you said and agree with most of it. But if the cyclist was illegally on a path then she is risking her life and others on the path, she could have easily ran over a child for example. So waving someone off a path when it could be dangerous could be seen as a justified action.

The women on the path said she was short sighted and she could have been reacting to the shock of a cyclist on the path.

Edit. I think Vetran in the above comment did a better job of explaining what I meant to say

Comment

What a horrible situation. So many unfortunate small things come together to create a nightmare situation for all. Looking at the vehicles that do pass in that video it's hardly surprising the cyclist is on the pavement. Law is one thing, old person on a bike on a busy road that put's their life in danger is another.

I don't think anyone wins here but this bit pisses me off somewhat.

After officers brought her in for questioning, Grey explained she was partially sighted and felt 'anxious' as the bicycle was travelling 'fast' in the middle of the pavement. She added that she could have lifted her hand 'unintentionally'.
                    The pedestrian didn't look anxious and she certainly didn't lift her hand 'unintentionally. She doesn't break stride through the whole episode and waves her hands three times. Her sight as sod all to do with it and to say an old woman on a bike is travelling fast is just an outright lie. She could have side stepped behind the post to let the bike come past and then she didn't need to come up with that crap when trying to explain the situation so I must admit I've a pretty dim opinion of the her. The two together paint a pretty poor picture of her IMO but I certainly wouldn't have wished her actions to cause a tragic accent and the fall out that's happened.

Being an ignorant arsehole is one thing but shouldn't mean you get convicted for manslaughter. Just awful for everyone involved.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X