• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a job after about ten years off, remotely!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a job after about ten years off, remotely!

I used to work in .NET C# with SQL Server. Haven't done anything more complicated than code the odd screen scraper or whatever for personal use for the last decade.

Now it's January and basically I plan:

1. go to Indonesia (where I've been living, and not really doing anything)
    2. come back to the UK maybe in September for 12 months [this is not 100% finalized, but it's likely]
    3. go back to Indonesia again September 2024.

So there are a few problems here:

1. I have been laying about for 10 years (more, probably)
    2. I can probably lie about my recent experience, work, etc. and get on with whatever (IDK really?)
    3. I don't have anywhere to stay in the UK in the middle term, so basically I could stay here about another month if it's worth my while, but otherwise I could be gone next week.

So I'm looking for a paying, experience-giving, gig that I can do from now till September, but from Indonesia.

The other option I have is to wait till September in that I still have money and don't need to get a job so I could just leave it for now and not waste my time right now [I have a flight back to Indonesia next week, if there's no point in me hanging around another month then I might as well take it tbh.] But I suppose it does leave the question of what kind of job, rates, etc., are open to me if I'm not really here, and haven't done a day's work in 12 years.

Any thoughts?

I would start writing some code now because you are going to be asked to do it in an interview.

Put a personal project or two on gitHub.

12 years without a role will put a lot clients off.

Comment

Well you can get some certs I believe there are some good courses over there where the students do a course & get a holiday. Possible networking opportunity?

Maybe get a job over there say in government? My Brother was visiting Australia and ended up writing some of the tax office's apps they changed his visa. Or large organisations your travel and international experience may be attractive.

Microsoft etc. allow you to do remote exams. So update your certs. Get your CV on the top of the pile.

Get involved in O/S projects join a respectable project or start your own.

Create some youtube tutorials on complex but popular stuff. For instance many of those who do homeassistant tutorials don't need a real job, Minecraft videos have made many a millonaire. My youngest & I watch Maria Elizabeth every week she is a multi Millionaire due to youtube, April Wilkerson / Jimmy Diresta have made a few quid out of it. With a lower base cost you may be able to stay where you are and earn money. Or get yer kit off and join onlyfans!

Skill at presentation is apparently not needed but have a look at these

https://www.wagnermeters.com/moistur...rking-youtube/

Be clear about why you had 10 years off its the first thing they will ask. Make it planned or life event driven.
      Last edited by vetran; 12 January 2023, 10:07.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The theory says not a chance. It's quiet here and there are a lot of very experienced people with years of doing what the clients want and aren't fabricating the whole thing. Any blocker is going to be a problem when there are a queue of people. Your out of date experience, your lack of history, your location you name it. What exactly do you offer that a client might actually want? I see nothing.

Not only that you are looking for the hens teeth of gigs. Short term, paid gig that gives experience and can be done from a far away land. Good luck with that. Most clients and agents can't get their heads around working in Europe let alone where you are. Don't want to be rude but you've nothing to offer and asking the world. Computer says no.

I'm going to say blatant lying on your CV is an absolute no no. It's just wrong but I'll admit when needs must people do it so that's your call. Expect to get walked off site or worse when they find out and good on them when they do IMO but that's your call.

I think you are looking at completely the wrong market. We do occasional work because we are good at what we do and deliver a very specific requirement to clients. None of that you are in a situation to do. You are just looking at gigs as occasional easy work. That's not contracting really.

I keep saying theory as that just cannot work. That said if you want to lie on your CV and really pound the pavements you 'might' be able to wangle something but you are gonna need a huge dose of luck. I do think you need to expand your plan in to other areas that might be more suited. No idea what they are though. Cognizant, Infosys with clients in Indonesia or something? But trying to break in the UK market with that is (on paper) a no goer as your post stands.

EDIT : Not trying to be negative but if you understand what isn't going to work it will help find something that might if you get me. Just how I roll.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 January 2023, 11:12.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or is thread just inneresting?

Comment

If you want to stay in the UK, given your situation you'd be lucky to find a job at Tesco/B&Q.

As NLUK pointed out, IT clients here look for specific skills and have specific requirements and you don't have much, if anything, to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              If you want to stay in the UK, given your situation you'd be lucky to find a job at Tesco/B&Q.

As NLUK pointed out, IT clients here look for specific skills and have specific requirements and you don't have much, if anything, to offer.
              Thank you. Gotta be worth a like and bit of +ve rep don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                The theory says not a chance. It's quiet here and there are a lot of very experienced people with years of doing what the clients want and aren't fabricating the whole thing. Any blocker is going to be a problem when there are a queue of people. Your out of date experience, your lack of history, your location you name it. What exactly do you offer that a client might actually want? I see nothing.

Not only that you are looking for the hens teeth of gigs. Short term, paid gig that gives experience and can be done from a far away land. Good luck with that. Most clients and agents can't get their heads around working in Europe let alone where you are. Don't want to be rude but you've nothing to offer and asking the world. Computer says no.
                As I said this isn't really a problem; I have two main choices at the moment: either I leave next week as scheduled or I don't.

If the next step is to spend the next several months doing personal projects and certifications in Indonesia then that's not really a problem, as long as its pursuant to something.

TBH the money isn't a problem either; I don't need it. The point is more towards some sort of longer term career, I just don't really have an idea at the moment where.

I met a woman in Indonesia who was doing .NET on Dutch hours; I asked her how did she get this gig, and she said she spent a year training and was getting 250 (?) euros a day. Which is a lot of money in Indonesia.

Comment

Thank you. Gotta be worth a like and bit of +ve rep don't you think?
                  Rep Whore!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Or is thread just inneresting?
                    No, it’s definitely not.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X