• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No matter .. how tech savvy they are, anyone can fall victim to a scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No matter .. how tech savvy they are, anyone can fall victim to a scam

Am i the only person who gets triggered when reading reports like this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63944372

"No matter their age, or how tech savvy they are, anyone can fall victim to a scam,"
    "In "push payment" fraud, victims are tricked into transferring money to coercive fraudsters pretending to be from their bank, police, or someone else they trust."
    "You should not feel shame and embarrassment,"

Perhaps I just have less sympathy than I thought I did, but I think its dangerous to tell everyone that its ok just to give your money to someone who randomly phones you up, because you'll get it back from your bank if it turns out to be a scam.

Anyone one here willing to admit they've been scammed?

I fell for one, sort of. I got an email from "UPS" telling me there was a customs charge to pay for a shipment being delivered to me. By sheer coincidence I was expecting a delivery from the US so I didn't give it a lot of thought. The link took me to "UPS" page and I put in my debit card detail to pay the 1.20. Almost immediately after I did it I starting thinking I'd screwed up. Turns out I had actually signed up for a recurring payment of 17.99 a month for something (can't actually remember what). I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one which was quite inconvenient but they didn't manage to take anything off my card.

Highly unlikely I'd ever transfer money out of my account on the back of an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from the bank though. I'm actually in a Facebook group about scammers and the number of people who still willingly send money by bank transfer for things on Facebook marketplace is unbelievable. Or people who pay thousands of pounds upfront for work to tradesmen who then disappear. Unreal.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I’m will to admit that I was almost scammed, and it was only my dimness that stopped me from going the whole hog.

Instead of using a bookmarked link I googled in the name and went into the first link, because that’s always the official site - ammirite?

Everything was absolutely the same as I expected, and it was only after I’d put in my safe word and it asked for more words than I expected did I think something was going on - and I still didn’t twig after I hit one (or two ) menu buttons and nothing happened.

I had a few gut-twisting minutes while I contacted the bank to tell them I’d been a plonker and block my account while I reset everything. The weary security guy said that a good few customers had been caught out by the same link and the bank was trying to get the dodgy site removed.

I felt such a berk.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I’m will to admit that I was almost scammed, and it was only my dimness that stopped me from going the whole hog.

Instead of using a bookmarked link I googled in the name and went into the first link, because that’s always the official site - ammirite?

Everything was absolutely the same as I expected, and it was only after I’d put in my safe word and it asked for more words than I expected did I think something was going on - and I still didn’t twig after I hit one (or two ) menu buttons and nothing happened.

I had a few gut-twisting minutes while I contacted the bank to tell them I’d been a plonker and block my account while I reset everything. The weary security guy said that a good few customers had been caught out by the same link and the bank was trying to get the dodgy site removed.

I felt such a berk.
        Google should be blocking these sites.

My daughter was nearly caught by searching for DVLA theory test. Like you, she clicked the top link and filled in a form on a page that was virtually identical to the DVLA one. Luckily she entered her card number wrong and while she was re-entering it I spotted that they were going to charge her a £50 "admin" fee to book for her.

I did contact Google and gave them the details but didn't get a reply and the site was still top of the search results months later.
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

The closest I got was a phishing e-mail from a trusted source (account hacked) with a dodgy link container therein, but the message and context was sufficiently generic/out of place that I spotted it. I am generally super untrusting of everything (), but not arrogant enough to say that I'd never get scammed. I'm pretty sure that a bad actor targeting an individual (e.g., a state actor) could scam that individual without too much trouble. Most scams are easy to spot because they are sufficiently generic.

Comment

I fell for a scam site top of the Google list for renewing a passport. Paid them £50 or whatever it was but turns out all they did was apply on my behalf. I then needed to pay the actual fee with the real passport office. I always check for the gov.uk in the web address now.

I agree it's ridiculous that Google and Facebook allow so many scam adverts. Particularly Facebook selling dodgy investments and the like. If I can spot them a mile off they could easily remove them with an algorithm. They're complicit in scamming folk.
            Last edited by Smoggy; 14 December 2022, 19:40.

Comment

Not a scam per se, was once paying for something online and the payment site had an embedded section for card details, after filling that out, another one popped up which I also stupidly filled in thinking maybe there was some cock up on the site and it simply reloaded. Roughly 5min later I realised the whole website probably been hacked and some malicious code was added to simply gather card data in an additional step. Blocked my card straight away and informed the site owner who confirmed my suspicion, it was hacked.

Anyways, not much happened, but just another thing to look out for.

Comment

The buggers have got me 8 times now...

Hi

Did you notice that I sent you an email from your address? Yes, that means I have full control of your device. I am aware you watch adults [sic] content with underage teens frequently. My spyware recorded a video of you masturbating. I also got access to your address book. I am happy to share these interesting videos with your address list and social media contacts. To prevent this from happening, you need to send me 1000 (USD) in bitcoins.

Bitcoin wallet part 1: 1C1FfgyNsJGJZfuR2ePXxTraa

Bitcoin wallet part 2: CqE6WLWSM

Combine part 1 and part 2 with no space between them to get the full bitcoin wallet.

Quick tip! You can procure bitcoins from Paxful. Use Google to find it.Once I receive the compensation (Yes, consider it a compensation), I will immediately delete the videos, and you will never hear from me again. You have three days to send the amount. I will receive a notification once this email is opened, and the countdown will begin.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Am i the only person who gets triggered when reading reports like this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63944372

"No matter their age, or how tech savvy they are, anyone can fall victim to a scam,"
                  "In "push payment" fraud, victims are tricked into transferring money to coercive fraudsters pretending to be from their bank, police, or someone else they trust."
                  "You should not feel shame and embarrassment,"

Perhaps I just have less sympathy than I thought I did, but I think its dangerous to tell everyone that its ok just to give your money to someone who randomly phones you up, because you'll get it back from your bank if it turns out to be a scam.

Anyone one here willing to admit they've been scammed?
                  Maybe I'm reading the article wrong but I don't see they are telling anyone it's OK to give money to a scam because they will get their money back. I see them making a point that people can be traumatised by being scammed even leading to suicide so are just trying to tell people it happens and don't get so upset it will ruin your life.

The article does mention the trauma it can cause people and I've seen it first hand. My mum fell for one and thanfully just for a few 10's of pounds and told my dad before it escalated but she was mortified for months. She won't do anything online anymore even years later. Very sad to see. We gave her the same message, it's no slight on her she got scammed. The message 'It's OK to be scammed, you'll get your money back' before a scam is totally different to telling someone that after they've been scammed to try and calm them down.

I think your lack of sympathy means the article is giving you a different message than the message I get when I read it. I also think it's a fine line saying you have no sympathy for people falling for scams. There is a big difference between being feckless and older or more vulnerable people that just don't know about these things. Some people are silly tw*ts for falling for them if the knew better but some people just don't.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have never been scammed but I will admit to having my details filled in on the first Royal Mail delivery scam I got. I get loads of parcels and often have two or three en-route so caught me hook line and sinker, similar to what others above said. Thankfully I just stopped to think before hit accept but it was very close.

Interestingly I got my first Geek Squad email that Perogi and the other scam busters chase the other day.

I have had my card details used fraudulently in the past and earlier in the year someone did a full job on me using a fake driving licence and utility bill to spend just under 7k on my credit card in a week before I spotted it. Different to being scammed but by god it was a horrible feeling even though I knew I'd get my money back.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X