• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Night & Day noise and stress made complainant a ‘recluse’, court told

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night & Day noise and stress made complainant a ‘recluse’, court told

"Partner of man whose complaint led to abatement notice against Manchester music venue testifies to being driven out of their home

The partner of the man whose noise complaint against Manchester’s famous Night & Day music venue could see it close has told a court he has become a “recluse” and lost 30kg due to stress.

Speaking at Manchester magistrates court on Wednesday, he said the couple had moved out in May as living near to the venue was not sustainable, due to the noise and fears for their safety after the complaint.

Night & Day were served with a noise abatement notice from Manchester city council in November due to complaints from a neighbouring flat. The couple moved into their home during lockdown and first submitted a complaint when the venue reopened.

In response, a campaign has been launched to save the 31-year-old venue, which has been in the city’s Northern Quarter since before the surrounding residential blocks were built. The campaign has attracted the support of Elbow singer Guy Garvey, who described it as a “vital organ of culture”.

Jay Taylor, chair of Greater Manchester’s music commission, and Sacha Lord, the region’s night-time economy adviser, have also called on the council to drop its legal action against the venue.

The partner of the complainant said: “It wasn’t sustainable to live there any more with the noise. After the [noise abatement] notice was served, t§1he media made us feel very uncomfortable in Manchester. We would see hundreds of comments on social media that were very threatening.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...use-court-told

The pub just up the road from my parents' flat (where my 80+ year old dad plays saxophone in a jazz band regularly) had complaints about noise. The council (Brighton) threw the complains out on the basis that that the pub had been a live music venue before the complainants moved in.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

well now they know why it was cheap!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My brother plays in a couple of bands across Sussex and every pub they play at has very strict rules about how loud the band can be and what time they need to stop at.

If you choose to move near a music or other type of entertainment venue then you've got to expect a certain level of noise. Property developers in those areas shouldn't be skimping on noise reduction measures like good glazing and thicker walls.

Comment

When I first moved to Manchester I lived in a row of of large shared room houses. Next door had a couple that argued, played loud music and had people round late most weekend nights. Gotta say it's withering trying to live through the noise. Sleeping and just generally living with it going on and on was debilitating. Not pleasant at all so feel for them.. but.. they did move in over a music venue so not sure what to expect. Whoever is at fault it's still very difficult to live with.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            When I first moved to Manchester I lived in a row of of large shared room houses. Next door had a couple that argued, played loud music and had people round late most weekend nights. Gotta say it's withering trying to live through the noise. Sleeping and just generally living with it going on and on was debilitating. Not pleasant at all so feel for them.. but.. they did move in over a music venue so not sure what to expect. Whoever is at fault it's still very difficult to live with.
            Its not like it was a surprise. We looked at a really nice house in one of the nicest areas but it was behind a pub, the price reflected this. We decided not to buy it. Pity really the pub closed a couple of years later and the prices shot up we would have a house worth 200k more and no mortgage if we had moved there.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Worst I've had like that was way back when me and missus had a flat and people upstairs kept playing Leonard Cohen records.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                [...]Property developers in those areas shouldn't be skimping on noise reduction measures like good glazing and thicker walls.
                cause property developers care

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Worst I've had like that was way back when me and missus had a flat and people upstairs kept playing Leonard Cohen records.
                  how long did it last before they cut their own throats?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

cause property developers care
                    Very true. It should be the planning department requiring sufficient noise management features are in place to ensure residents are not overly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                    X