• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS - Free treatment for all!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS - Free treatment for all!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63659754

NHS leaders in Scotland have discussed abandoning the founding principles of the service by having the wealthy pay for treatment.

The discussion of a "two-tier" health service is mentioned in draft minutes of a meeting of NHS Scotland health board chief executives in September.

Oh Dear, looks like the "wealthy" will have to pay for their medical care. I'd hate to be "wealthy", you know, those sorts paying the higher 40% rate of income tax for example.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

They usually have Private medical care anyway so a lose-lose situation for the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      They usually have Private medical care anyway so a lose-lose situation for the NHS.
      Yes, but real expensive work is shifted to Nhs - now imagine they charge full economic cost (plus profit on top to subsidise 10 other ops) of a heart bypass, could be enough to bankrupt most “wealthy” people, private insurance costs will go up 20-30 times and people might discover “pre-existing conditions” are extra!

Comment

I “like” this one too -

“They include suggestions that hospitals should change their appetite for risk by aiming to send patients home more quickly, and pause the funding of some new drugs.”

Comment

It costs £120 per missed 15 minute appointment with a nurse or at least that is what I see on the side of the appointment envelope.

Privately they start at £49 for a doctor.

Quick hint to Scotland it is the wealthiest who pay for everything. If you took the taxes from the top 33% the remaining people wouldn't cover 25% of the costs.

You do know most of the famous hospitals were originally private until they were nationalised?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So the SNP are trying to privatise the NHS?

I know, I'll earn loads of money and pay loads of tax on that (reasonable). And then when I want NHS care, you want to charge me again?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Quick hint to Scotland it is the wealthiest who pay for everything. If you took the taxes from the top 33% the remaining people wouldn't cover 25% of the costs.
              They’ll still pay for everything plus (most certainly) inflated (aka “economic”) cost of their own treatment, plus they will discharged early because of improved “appetite for risk’ in those hospitals.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63659754

NHS leaders in Scotland have discussed abandoning the founding principles of the service by having the wealthy pay for treatment.

The discussion of a "two-tier" health service is mentioned in draft minutes of a meeting of NHS Scotland health board chief executives in September.

Oh Dear, looks like the "wealthy" will have to pay for their medical care. I'd hate to be "wealthy", you know, those sorts paying the higher 40% rate of income tax for example.

Did you read the article at all ?
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I “like” this one too -

“They include suggestions that hospitals should change their appetite for risk by aiming to send patients home more quickly, and pause the funding of some new drugs.”

Who the feck came up with that? "appetite for risk"? must be some feckwit manager, cause I very much doubt a doctor would came up with this, I mean considering it's a bloody hospital and their main aim is to treat people, not risk their lives / health by sending them home and seeing what happens. The whole structure is absolutely fecked and not working, the sooner they realise this the better.

Comment

Yes, but real expensive work is shifted to Nhs
                    My wife has had two lots of Cancer.

First was treated under her private arrangement with her employer at a private hospital+ room for both surgery and post treatment Chemo.
                    Second she could have done under my health plan from my employer but chose NHS - so long as she had the same Oncologist.

This is probably costlier than bypass surgery.

Not sure what your point is but as a bystander it's very upsetting to sit in a waiting room and you can see those that are going to make it and those that aren't. It's very sobering when you realise there are probably 50 in that waiting room each morning waiting for their therapy. So, if it had been me, I'd have opted for private and left the slot in Christies for someone who didn't have the cover.

I think the SNP is just scouting for column inches.

Comment

Working...
                    X