• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have to pay tax on loans you are never expected to pay back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have to pay tax on loans you are never expected to pay back?

So as expected the autumn budget contained a huge bung to keep house prices unaffordable.

if you are too lazy to work and therefore can’t pay your mortgage, the government will guarantee a loan for you with a real interest rate of around -9%. Of course this massive windfall is tax-free.

When you sell the house, if you surprisingly can’t pay off the loan (cos you are too lazy to work, duh), the government just forgives the loan and some sucker renters cover the loss by paying the highest taxes in seventy years.

Now I’ve heard some of you contractors out there have experience of these loans-you-are-never-expected-to-pay-back shenanigans.

So is it all kosher to have some scheme where you get loans but are not expected to pay them back, or could it cause some trouble down the line?

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    if you are too lazy to work and therefore can’t pay your mortgage, the government will guarantee a loan for you with a real interest rate of around -9%. Of course this massive windfall is tax-free.
    Perhaps you could edit to ask an actual question, not a passive-aggressive rant.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Perhaps you could edit to ask an actual question, not a passive-aggressive rant.
      Do you have to pay tax if money is paid to you as a loan, but is never expected to be paid back?

(With perhaps a subtext of why is the government doing something this monumentally stupid when they are supposed to be short of money.)

Comment

Your question should be: why have we got a monumentally stupid government?
        The answer being: Because monumentally stupid people vote for them.

With regard to loans, tax, etc, etc, 2/10 for the rant, 0/10 for content.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Loans… been done to death - no tax now does not mean no tax in the future!

Comment

Why not take the loan and find out later?
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Your question should be: why have we got a monumentally stupid government?
              The answer being: Because monumentally stupid people vote for them.

With regard to loans, tax, etc, etc, 2/10 for the rant, 0/10 for content.
              To be fair, the people who voted voted for “anyone but Rishi”. So you can’t really pin this on them.

Comment

To be fair, the people who voted voted for “anyone but Rishi”. So you can’t really pin this on them.
                No they voted for his predecessor who helped caused the big f*** up
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  Why not take the loan and find out later?
                  You have to have less than 16,000 in savings to get this particular “loan”. So I’d have to buy quite a few Lambos before I would qualify.

I’m more worried about having to pay off everybody else’s.

Also it might make my second homes and buy-to-let properties more expensive.

Comment

You have to have less than 16,000 in savings to get this particular “loan”. So I’d have to buy quite a few Lambos before I would qualify.

I’m more worried about having to pay off everybody else’s.

Also it might make my second homes and buy-to-let properties more expensive.
                    If I weren't paying all these lazy ****ers to have food on the table and have some heating on, I too might have more Lambos and holiday homes in the Seychelles.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X