• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: Premium Bonds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOM: Premium Bonds

Biggest increase to Premium Bond prize rate for 40 years

100,000 more prizes could be given out next month to premium bond holders

The Premium Bond prize rate will increase from 1.4pc to 2.2pc next month – the biggest rate rise since 1980.

National Savings & Investments said the increase would boost the overall size of the prize pot by £76m and will mean almost 100,000 more prizes are given out next month.

The last time NS&I announced an increase as big was in July 1980, when it changed the prize fund rate to 7pc from 5.75pc, an increase of 1.25 percentage points.

Premium Bonds are Britain’s biggest savings scheme, with over 22 million holders, and offer prizes of between £25 and £1m a month. This is the first time returns have passed 2pc since November 2008, during the financial crisis, when the rate was 2.85pc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal...e-forty-years/

Can you put them in an ISA?!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Can you put them in an ISA?!
      why would you want to do that????

Unless of course you just can't be bothered to even find out what a premium bond is.
      Last edited by Lance; 27 September 2022, 13:59.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

why would you want to do that????

Unless of course you just can't be bothered to even find out what a premium bond is.
        Grandad had some.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've had £450 interest this tax year so far on my bonds.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Grandad had some.
            that doesn't explain why you would want to put them in an ISA. That explains how you got them.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I've had £450 interest this tax year so far on my bonds.
              prize...... It's not interest. It's a prize.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

prize...... It's not interest. It's a prize.
                I've set mine to auto-reinvest, so it's interest up until I hit the limit and they start sending me money.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Have done pretty well so far this year. Had a £500 and some £25s a few months ago and then £175 last month (all £25s). Typically averages about 2x£25 per month, which is obviously a bit crap on £50k, but it's a bit of fun and you occasionally get a wacky month.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I've set mine to auto-reinvest, so it's interest up until I hit the limit and they start sending me money.
                    It's still not interest..... It's prize money you are reinvesting.

instead of paying interest, the Bond numbers are entered into a monthly prize draw for the chance to win cash prizes from £25 to £1 million
                    it works out, on average, at a prize rate equivalent to a quoted interest rate. But it's very definitely a prize.
                    You might get nothing one month and million quid the next.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X