• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini Budget aka Fiscal Statement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    95% waiting in an arbitrary period? A pointless measure by any standard, especially when every hospital now needs to devote a whole team to measuring wait times and reporting them.

The deterioration started well before Hunt's tenure, and while he didn't make it better - hard to see how anybody could given the constraints - it certainly didn't make it worse.
    It was his job to make it better. That's what he was paid to do. Imagine if we used that excuse in our roles, we'd be kicked out in a heartbeat.

As for the targets, he was the top dog. He could have removed those targets, as could any tory PM the last 12 years ...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "Goldman Sachs said that the increase in corporation tax to 25% in April – after Truss U-turned on one of her key Conservative leadership campaign commitments – was one factor.

Its report said: “Folding in weaker growth momentum, significantly tighter financial conditions, and the higher corporation tax from next April, we downgrade our UK growth outlook further and now expect a more significant recession.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ession-in-2023

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Am I denying that? I don't believe I defended any of it.

How easy do you think it would be to do it, given any attempt to discard any bit of the NHS, even the most pointlessly expensive, will result in mindless cries of privatisation and penny pinching.

£157bn a year goes in to the NHS. It's not well spent... The problem transcends knee jerk politics.
    So it is knee jerk politics to do workforce planning which the doctors unions and other health unions asked the government that has been in power for 12 years to do?

It is knee jerk politics to sort out a mechanism to stop doctors paying into their pensions so they don't retire early which the government in power had 12 years to sort out?

Etc
    If the party in power could force through the Lansley reforms and junior doctors pay deal, I'm sure if they had the willing they could have sorted out the 2 issues I've mentioned above plus other things that have already been mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There was a shortage of GPs then but a much bigger shortage now.

Which party in government had 12 years to sort out work force planning and doctors pensions?

Which party in power had 12 years to sort that out?

He, his predecessor Lansley and those who came after them all from the same party in government have had 12 years to change it.
    Am I denying that? I don't believe I defended any of it.

How easy do you think it would be to do it, given any attempt to discard any bit of the NHS, even the most pointlessly expensive, will result in mindless cries of privatisation and penny pinching.

£157bn a year goes in to the NHS. It's not well spent... The problem transcends knee jerk politics.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And the root cause of all those failings in the NHS?

Allowing GPs to give up 40% of their work in exchange for a major pay rise. People can't get appointments so they go to A&E. An acute service is therefore having to perform a chronic care function.
    There was a shortage of GPs then but a much bigger shortage now.

Which party in government had 12 years to sort out work force planning and doctors pensions?

95% waiting in an arbitrary period? A pointless measure by any standard, especially when every hospital now needs to devote a whole team to measuring wait times and reporting them, as well as not recognising that A&E is a triaged service and if you aren't at death's door you can bloody well wait until they have the people to see you. Or go home and try to get to your GP or even your local chemist, who is more than capable of helping with minor ailments.
    Which party in power had 12 years to sort that out?

The deterioration started well before Hunt's tenure, and while he didn't make it better - hard to see how anybody could given the constraints - it certainly didn't make it worse.
    He, his predecessor Lansley and those who came after them all from the same party in government have had 12 years to change it.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    typical rabid tory - 'it wasn't us! - big boys did it, and ran away!'
    Typical non-student of history: stick to slogans, much safer than confronting reality.

And I didn't mention any parties. I also didn't mention that the new GP contracts date from 2007, after 2-3 years of negotiation. Nor did I mention who was in No 10 at that time.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    typical rabid tory - 'it wasn't us! - big boys did it, and ran away!'

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    And the root cause of all those failings in the NHS?

Allowing GPs to give up 40% of their work in exchange for a major pay rise. People can't get appointments so they go to A&E. An acute service is therefore having to perform a chronic care function.

95% waiting in an arbitrary period? A pointless measure by any standard, especially when every hospital now needs to devote a whole team to measuring wait times and reporting them, as well as not recognising that A&E is a triaged service and if you aren't at death's door you can bloody well wait until they have the people to see you. Or go home and try to get to your GP or even your local chemist, who is more than capable of helping with minor ailments.

Long term care also suffers, mainly from bed blocking meaning operations and consultations are routinely delayed at short notice. That care in the community is not such a stupid idea, but it does need resourcing properly.

There are a dozen other major problems, but here's the thing - they all share the same root cause.

All that apart, I totally agree that from our side of the fence the NHS is in a shocking state and is failing us badly. But perhaps go talk to the professionals and hear what they think...
    Last edited by malvolio; 16 October 2022, 15:03.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    not a fan of his then??

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    That's only a small bit of what he did. Virgin got a huge chunk of money out of his policies, he introduced "care in the community" completely ignoring that it costs more to look after people outside the care system, he privatised left right and centre.

Do you rememberthe "Circle" fiasco? That was his work too.

The man is a complete see you next tuesday.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X