• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foreign nationals able to vote in Conservative Leadership election.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign nationals able to vote in Conservative Leadership election.

So it seems that you don't actually have to be a UK citizen to vote in the Conservative leadership election. Anyone who pays £5 as a "Young Conservative" and signs up with Conservatives Abroad using whatever bogus credentials they can think up becomes a party member and gets to vote with no checks or challenges.

Can't see that being abused in any way...

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/statu...36312565661696
    https://www.conservativesabroad.org/under-26

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I thought it based on membership 3 months before?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      So it seems that you don't actually have to be a UK citizen to vote in the Conservative leadership election. Anyone who pays £5 as a "Young Conservative" and signs up with Conservatives Abroad using whatever bogus credentials they can think up becomes a party member and gets to vote with no checks or challenges.

Can't see that being abused in any way...

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/statu...36312565661696
      https://www.conservativesabroad.org/under-26

It's a cheap way for Putin to select the British PM
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That isn't going to work (anymore) because the cutoff was three months before the start of the campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          That isn't going to work (anymore) because the cutoff was three months before the start of the campaign.
          Not quite:

Originally posted by https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01366/SN01366.pdf
          The Party constitution states that eligibility for Party members to vote in a contested election in stage 2 of leadership elections are those:

...who were members of the Party from the time of the call for nominations by the Chairman of the 1922 Committee for the election of the Leader and have been members for at least three months immediately prior to the close of the ballot for the election of the Leader shall be entitled to vote.2
          Any foreign party watching the proceedings and aware of this loophole will have had ample chance to exploit it should they have wanted to.

Comment

Not quite:

Any foreign party watching the proceedings and aware of this loophole will have had ample chance to exploit it should they have wanted to.
            No, it says exactly what I said. I even qualified it with "anymore". Sure, there was an opportunity more than three months ago, that follows logically, just as Labour members could've joined more than three months ago and probably got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

No, it says exactly what I said. I even qualified it with "anymore". Sure, there was an opportunity more than three months ago, that follows logically, just as Labour members could've joined more than three months ago and probably got away with it.
              No. Nominations were called for on the 12th July. Ballot closes on 2nd September.

Anyone who was a Tory party member on or before the 2nd June gets to vote. Thats less than 8 weeks ago. I doesn't take a genius to see that Johnson was in trouble well before that. Anyone with an interest in a leadership election had plenty of time to get signed up.

Comment

No. Nominations were called for on the 12th July. Ballot closes on 2nd September.

Anyone who was a Tory party member on or before the 2nd June gets to vote. Thats less than 8 weeks ago. I doesn't take a genius to see that Johnson was in trouble well before that. Anyone with an interest in a leadership election had plenty of time to get signed up.
                Fair enough, I stand corrected, but it's the same basic situation. Anyone who really cared to try and disrupt the election would've joined ages ago and that will be a tiny number of people. All this rule is attempting to do is to avoid a massive campaign to add fake members once the PM has resigned. There's nothing to stop someone becoming a member of a political party at any time, including the Conservative party. If they do so now, they can vote in the next leadership election. There are some other conditions, like not being a member of another party, but they are unlikely to check. It isn't even very expensive.

Comment

So... the foreigners will end up electing the worst PM ever or someone who isn't quite as bad as Boris. I think we're fsked either way. Well you are.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    So... the foreigners will end up electing the worst PM ever or someone who isn't quite as bad as Boris. I think we're fsked either way. Well you are.
                    Oi I'm not a foreigner and with a membership of ~180K which hasn't changed much recently I doubt there are many foreign fixers involved

Comment

Working...
                    X