• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worst job you have everdone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst job you have everdone?

I dropped out of university for a year and ended up in factory that made sponges, J-cloths and scouring pads.

The only saving grace was that I was loading/unloading lorries rather than being involved in the manufacturing/packaging process and by the end of the year was absolutely ripped.

I have never worked outside of software development.
    But I took a permie job during the downturn in 2002. java developer.
    Went from making 3000 a week as a contractor to just 3000 a month as a permie.
    They wanted me in at 9am every day as well. basterds. But i never obliged. Cant get out of bed that early for just 3K month.
    I quit after five months and went back contracting when the market eventually improved.

Comment

My paper round when I was 12, morning papers had to all be delivered by 7.15am (7 mornings a week) and afternoon papers had to all be delivered by 4.30pm (6 afternoons a week) - whatever the weather, temperature etc - £23 a week and lost £1 any/every time the last paper was delivered late

I lasted about 10 months, once it got back round to school summer holidays I couldn't handle getting up that early every day any more

Comment

One summer break when I was a student I did a temping job.

Cleaning sick of zimmer frames in the basement of a hospital.

Did it for 2 weeks. Left when the manager said next week we start on commodes.

Comment

cleaning toilets in an old persons home.

oh and working in a Berni Inn where the chef & drunk sous chef had actual fights.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yeah I had a job in an Italian restaurant washing up. The chef would throw used frying pans around. Bloody insane place.

Comment

Think I've said this before, but had a temp job at food counter in Selfridges just after leaving uni. Got relocated to the warehouse cos' I dressed too scruffy.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I suppose my worst job was just a bit dull rather than awful.

It was on a trading estate in Rustington where they used to print airline loyalty cards and stuff them into envelopes. They might have done other stuff but the envelope stuffing was what I spent about 2-3 weeks doing over the summer holidays.

My best job was working as a cashier in Harbour Park Amusement Arcade, being the moody cow who would swap your hard earned cash for 2p's, etc so you could waste your money on the machines that never paid out. In my lunch breaks I would meet up with my friend who worked on the counter where you swapped tickets for prizes and we'd go on all the rides.

Comment

From the ages of 12 to 15 I worked weekends collecting eggs at the turkey breeding farm across from where I lived. Aside from getting my hands pecked to pieces by broody hens (the scars are still there many decades later), you couldn't avoid getting turkey **** on your clothes, which absolutely reeks. At Christmas time I helped to kill the turkey cocks who were past their breeding prime - my job was to pull the bird down after one of the adult workers had put its neck in a twine noose. This was late 1970s, I'm sure everything's much more civilised these days. I think they paid me something like 12p an hour.

As a student I did some casual temping and one day was sent to a local warehouse to unload car tyres from lorries. Sounded really easy. I love the smell of tyre rubber but quickly found that the concentrated odour inside the lorry was actually really sickening. I lasted two days and then got out of it, others didn't even last until the first lunch break

Also as a student I did casual lifeguarding work at several council swimming pools in the area. It was actually a great job but what people didn't realise was that, when the lifeguards weren't standing on the side of the pool swinging their whistles, they were doing lots of other work, mainly cleaning. It was actually a great job with a fun bunch of people, but cleaning toilets - especially completely blocked ones - was a very big negative. We'd use a high pressure hose in the hope that it'd force the blockage down; most of the time it worked but, if it didn't, you could get sprayed with the contents.

Comment

Early twenties, undocumented alien in a Middle Eastern country. Digging out an old sewage pipe so it could be replaced; trench must have been 50 meters long, and two meters deep. Pipe was meant to be blocked at one end to stop 'flushes' coming our way - the 'block' turned out to be a wad of carrier bags pushed up the pipe. Every so often the pressure would push the wad out of the pipes and the trench would get a gush of raw sewage.
                    Job lasted a couple of days and at the end the boss told us all to pee off and he wasn't paying anyone - his attitude was we couldn't report him to anyone as we'd end up getting deported!
                    As an aside, I spent more than a year washing dishes in several restaurants (same country, same illegal status) and was always treated with respect by both kitchen and waitressing staff - money was useless but you got to drink all the half empty bottles of wine that came in!

Comment

Working...
                    X