• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more English Lit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Really? I thought it was standard practice to do a masters immediately after your bachelors. It certainly is in continental Europe and was the case when I graduated... I guess things have changed.

I do my best.
    You put do a Masters then. I thought you meant without an undergraduate degree as I know people who just have a postgraduate Masters but no undergraduate degree. They did their degrees aged 30+.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You put do a Masters then. I thought you meant without an undergraduate degree as I know people who just have a postgraduate Masters but no undergraduate degree. They did their degrees aged 30+.
      The OU used to allow you to do a taught Masters without a undergrad degree first. Not sure if that's still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The OU used to allow you to do a taught Masters without a undergrad degree first. Not sure if that's still the case.
        When I did a few years back 2017-2019 you needed a 2:1 or above.

Entry

To study this module, you must hold a UK honours degree (or equivalent), preferably with at least a 2:1 classification. You must be studying towards either the MA in Classical Studies or the MA/MSc Open.
        Last edited by Gibbon; 30 June 2022, 09:48.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

The WifeTM did her masters at Guildford having left school with no A levels and no degree, etc.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

When I did a few years back 2017-2019 you needed a 2:1 or above.

Entry

To study this module, you must hold a UK honours degree (or equivalent), preferably with at least a 2:1 classification. You must be studying towards either the MA in Classical Studies or the MA/MSc Open.
            Having a quick shifty at their postgrad offering, I think it depends on the line of study you choose. Some say 'you typically need' a degree, others clearly state non-degree access routes.

I'm currently very grumpy with the OU and am not inclined to recommend them as a route to higher education any more.

Comment

I'm currently very grumpy with the OU and am not inclined to recommend them as a route to higher education any more.
              Why's that?

Comment

Other universities are available.

It depends on what you are studying and your experience in the area.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Having a quick shifty at their postgrad offering, I think it depends on the line of study you choose. Some say 'you typically need' a degree, others clearly state non-degree access routes.
                  OU was all about points. I thought you could enter without a degree but would need a level of points from other areas. A long time since I've looked at the OU though.
                  Exactly the same but more a personal issue. I did most of a normal degree and then switched to an MBA. I was assured the points from the MBA would add to the honours degree so killing two birds with one stone.

It wasn't until I was 2 years in to the MBA they told me the points carry over as a level 4 regardless of the results of the MBA so effectively destroying any chance of even a 2.1, borderline not even a 2.2 even though I'd been hovering around the top of a 2.1 with a chance of a first if I'd really pulled my finger out the last 2 years.

I was so annoyed I'd put 8 years of work in and would struggle to even get a 2.2 I couldn't carry on so ended all that with just a degree without honours and half an MBA. I was already too old for it to matter so no biggie job wise but to say I was deflated was an understatement.

I'm sure it's still very good and still have great respect that people that have done the OU but can't get over being thoroughly F'd over by them.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I was assured the points from the MBA would add to the honours degree so killing two birds with one stone.

It wasn't until I was 2 years in to the MBA they told me the points carry over as a level 4 regardless of the results of the MBA so effectively destroying any chance of even a 2.1, borderline not even a 2.2 even though I'd been hovering around the top of a 2.1 with a chance of a first if I'd really pulled my finger out the last 2 years.

I was so annoyed I'd put 8 years of work in and would struggle to even get a 2.2 I couldn't carry on so ended all that with just a degree without honours and half an MBA. I was already too old for it to matter so no biggie job wise but to say I was deflated was an understatement.

I'm sure it's still very good and still have great respect that people that have done the OU but can't get over being thoroughly F'd over by them.
                    Fookin' 'ell. To borrow the indomitable words of Liz Truss. That. Is. A. Disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk

It is. Two degrees, heavily based on points and the MBA people just aren't combined with the Degree even though they sit in the same damn building. Talk to each other and work out that someone getting back to back distinctions in the MBA is worth a bit more than a level 4 pass in a degree. They could (should) have fixed it by now but they hadn't when I was in.
                      Ugh, computer says no. They shouldn't screw with people like that - unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                      X