• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Smoking Ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is nicotine in vaping form still particularly dangerous? As a non-smoker I had always assumed 90% of the problem was the smoking, not the nicotine? Note I didn't say "does it have ANY ill effects" but comparatively.
    Check out the following...
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It hasn't been proven either way but using common sense how can deliberately inhaling anything but air in to your lungs be good for you?
      "Common sense" would say ingesting and injecting all kinds of chemicals into your body can't be good for you but doctors routinely prescribe some really quite noxious things which are. Medicine is data driven not by 'common sense'... look at medicine historically if you want to be horrified what even medical 'experts'; of the past thought was "common sense".

Are you really saying it's not been proven how dangerous nicotine alone is?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"Common sense" would say ingesting and injecting all kinds of chemicals into your body can't be good for you but doctors routinely prescribe some really quite noxious things which are. Medicine is data driven not by 'common sense'... look at medicine historically if you want to be horrified what even medical 'experts'; of the past thought was "common sense".

I don't know if you remember that consumer affairs programme fronted by Esther Rantzen back in the 80s but I remember them campaigning against the targeting of younger age groups by the company who produce Skoal Bandits.

They are basically a sweet or gum containing nicotine which had a track record of causing mouth cancers among adult users so that suggests maybe nicotine alone is harmful. Not sure if those particular sweets are just nicotine based or are actually some kind of chewable tobacco, in which case there'd be a whole load of other compounds at play.
        Last edited by Guy At Charnock Richard; 10 June 2022, 13:31. Reason: Edit changed of to if

Comment

...... and FOG

Comment

Has it been? I thought this was still something of a grey area, given that there hasn't been enough long term study on people who take nicotine without smoking. I know the general concensus is that nicotine alone is vastly less harmful than smoking, but I think that is largely conjecture at this point. Depending on what you read, some people peg the toxic effects of nicotine somewhere close to caffeine but again I don't think anyone really knows.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Has it been? I thought this was still something of a grey area, given that there hasn't been enough long term study on people who take nicotine without smoking. I know the general concensus is that nicotine alone is vastly less harmful than smoking, but I think that is largely conjecture at this point. Depending on what you read, some people peg the toxic effects of nicotine somewhere close to caffeine but again I don't think anyone really knows.
              I suppose I was thinking lower/upper bounds at least. If it were properly dangerous you'd think we'd have clear data so maybe that in itself is telling us something.
              What about those Hookah things?

Comment

I suppose I was thinking lower/upper bounds at least. If it were properly dangerous you'd think we'd have clear data so maybe that in itself is telling us something.
                What about those Hookah things?
                I was having a look but all the nicotine replacement products e.g. gum, patches, inhalers, lozenges are contraindicated for non-smokers. So therefore you can't get true data on whether nicotine itself is dangerous.

Those Hookah things are linked to cancer as they use tobacco. Anything that uses tobacco is linked to cancer.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It hasn't been proven either way but using common sense how can deliberately inhaling anything but air in to your lungs be good for you?
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I was having a look but all the nicotine replacement products e.g. gum, patches, inhalers, lozenges are contraindicated for non-smokers. So therefore you can't get true data on whether nicotine itself is dangerous.

Those Hookah things are linked to cancer as they use tobacco. Anything that uses tobacco is linked to cancer.
                    How dangerous is tobacco if you don't smoke it?

Comment

How dangerous is tobacco if you don't smoke it?
                      In the USA they used to sell chewing tobacco however, it caused cancer of the mouth. Nicotine causes cancer.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X