• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling a man ‘bald’ is sex-related harassment, employment tribunal rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling a man ‘bald’ is sex-related harassment, employment tribunal rules

"Calling a man “bald” is sex-related harassment, an employment tribunal has ruled.

Hair loss is much more prevalent among men than women so using it to describe someone is a form of sex-related harassment, a judgment has concluded. Commenting on a man’s baldness in the workplace is equivalent to remarking on the size of a woman’s breasts, the finding suggests.

The ruling – made by a panel of three men who in making their judgment bemoaned their own lack of hair – comes in a case between a veteran electrician and the manufacturing firm where he was employed.

Tony Finn – who is in line for compensation – had worked for the West Yorkshire-based British Bung Company for almost 24 years when he was fired in May last year. He took the company to the tribunal claiming, among other things, he had been the victim of sex-related harassment after an incident with the factory supervisor, Jamie King.

Finn alleged that during a shopfloor row in July 2019, King had referred to him as a “bald cunt”. The tribunal heard Finn was less upset by the “Anglo-Saxon” language than the comment on his appearance."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tribunal-rules

"made by a panel of three men who in making their judgment bemoaned their own lack of hair"

Grounds for appeal, Shirley?

KUATB!
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I think we did that already. I can call you senile because dementia is more common in ladies than men.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I think we did that already. I can call you senile because dementia is more common in ladies than men.
        Only because men drop dead earlier.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          well I suppose at last Alexei has come second!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Only because men drop dead earlier.
            Given what we end up marrying, it's a blessed release.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Given what we end up marrying, it's a blessed release.
              Strange how they only become awful after marrying you, eh?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X