• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Dr Who announced

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dr Who announced

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-bbc-announces

Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the Time Lord in Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Doctor on the popular BBC show after Whittaker announced last July she would be leaving the role.

The Scottish actor, who was born in Rwanda, starred as Eric Effiong in Netflix’s hugely popular Sex Education about the socially awkward high school student Otis (Asa Butterfield) and his sex therapist mother Jean (Gillian Anderson).

He will become the first black actor to play the title role full-time.
    In 2020, Jo Martin made a guest appearance as a previously unknown version of the Doctor hiding on Earth disguised as a human tour guide. Russell T Davies will return in the next series of Doctor Who as showrunner, after he initially helmed the 21st-century revival of the show from 2005 to 2009.

any chance he can act?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Jo Martin would have done a fine job.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

More importantly:

Russell T Davies will return in the next series of Doctor Who as showrunner, after he initially helmed the 21st-century revival of the show from 2005 to 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          any chance he can act?
          I've never heard of him but it seems he's pretty well-regarded.

Originally posted by BBC
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123 The actor was nominated for the Bafta for best male performance in a comedy programme for the third year in a row for playing Eric in Sex Education.

He has already won a Scottish Bafta and a Rose d'Or Award for Sex Education.
          My concern is having such a young actor. The Dr needs a certain sense of gravitas and the BBC as much as say they like him because they want to make Dr. Who more relevant to a younger audience which makes me nervous it'll try to be cool in a cringey way. But Russell clearly really likes him so fingers crossed he is excellent.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            My concern is having such a young actor. The Dr needs a certain sense of gravitas
            He's older than Matt Smith (27) and will probably be about the same age as Peter Davison (30). David Tennant was 34 when he started playing the role, and Jodie Whittaker was 35, so he's not that much younger than them.

Next up: James Bond should only be played by actors older than me.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

He's older than Matt Smith (27) and will probably be about the same age as Peter Davison (30). David Tennant was 34 when he started playing the role, and Jodie Whittaker was 35, so he's not that much younger than them.

Next up: James Bond should only be played by actors older than me.
              Why on earth should James Bond be older than me or you? He's supposed to be a man in his absolute prime. You just go looking to antagonise sometimes.
              If you don't think there's a big difference between late twenties and mid-thirties, you are clearly far beyond your own younger years.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                any chance he can act?
                Seems that during auditions, they already thought they'd found their man, then he came on with his audition and blew them away. May someone who's watched Sex Eductation can tell us if he can act.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Why on earth should James Bond be older than me or you? He's supposed to be a man in his absolute prime. You just go looking to antagonise sometimes.
                  No, not meant to antagonise, Craig was the first one who was younger than me, and it made me feel old.

If you don't think there's a big difference between late twenties and mid-thirties, you are clearly far beyond your own younger years.
                  Yes, there is a difference, which is why I was pointing out that the new Dr isn't the youngest.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Seems that during auditions, they already thought they'd found their man, then he came on with his audition and blew them away. May someone who's watched Sex Eductation can tell us if he can act.
                    He is very highly rated in sex Education. That does not mean he will transfer that ability to Doctor Who - after all, Whittaker is a fine, wide-ranging actor and look what a mess she made of it.

True you have to work with the script you are given and at least the dismal Chibnall has gone and Hunter is back. But in the current BBC world of woke and inclusivity, combined with the BBC's likely focus on an audience with the attention span of a goldfish, I am not getting excited about having the Doctor back in full flow.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X