• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For those of you with kids looking to go to uni

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you with kids looking to go to uni

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16031

Tell them to go to a lower ranking university as they are more likely to get a 2:1 or First.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16031

Tell them to go to a lower ranking university as they are more likely to get a 2:1 or First.
    That is poor advice if you want them to earn a decent salary in the years after graduation. That is largely a function of subject studied and university. Graduates from Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and a handful of other Russell Group unis produce by far the highest paying graduates, especially amongst business, law, economics and computing degrees.

Grads from the likes of University of Bedfordshire may well have Firsts or a 2:1 but will never match the grads from the universities above.

Comment

More importantly, convince them to use the time wisely wherever they go.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Amen to that.

I studied physics at university and it was incompatible with my lifestyle of drink, drugs, women, late nights and breakfast in front of Fifteen to One and Countdown.

That said a poor physics degree still opens plenty of doors - just not in Physics.

I would love to study for another degree now I am slightly more mature but don't have the time.
        Last edited by TheDude; 21 April 2022, 07:53.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Wisely is a matter of perspective, though. I got a first from a top uni, but I worked my arse off to get it and missed out on a lot of other stuff that my mates were doing (some of whom managed to get a 2:1 and probably didn’t suffer greatly for it). On balance, it was probably worth it, but it’s also the formative period of your life and it’s hard to put a price on the stuff missed.

Comment

University in general is bulltulip so they may as well go somewhere where they can get a few years of partying and still get a 2:1

I have a BSc in Economics and a MSc in International Business...total waste of my time and money. Having said that, outside of the classroom I had a great time, met great people and had great life experiences.

So who cares where kids go to uni. The major key to success in life is how good you are at telling lies. I'm great at that, built a career in IT on lies and exaggerations.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Wisely is a matter of perspective, though. I got a first from a top uni, but I worked my arse off to get it and missed out on a lot of other stuff that my mates were doing (some of whom managed to get a 2:1 and probably didn’t suffer greatly for it). On balance, it was probably worth it, but it’s also the formative period of your life and it’s hard to put a price on the stuff missed.
              I was an undergraduate alongside Brian Cox and it was obvious to anyone that he didn't have what it took to forge a middle management career in financial services like proper physics graduates.
              Last edited by TheDude; 21 April 2022, 08:26.

Comment

you can still do Tequila body shots in your 50s!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I was an undergraduate alongside Brian Cox and it was obvious to anyone that he didn't have what it took to forge a middle management career in financial services like proper physics graduates.
                  See what you mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Brian_Cox_%282016%29_-_01.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	4215140
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yeah I was vague deliberately And it's not the same for everyone. For many, it's a chance to learn far more than just academic stuff although it's worth reminding yourself how much it's costing you. You should be able to apply yourself to your studies with loads of time left for fun, especially at 19/20. So many (myself included) miss lectures and scrape by "to get a degree". I got a very good degree but I still wish I had applied myself better to really understand what I was studying rather than relying on being able to cram - I pretty much checked out in my 2nd year and was playing catch-up from thereon, missing key concepts but just about able to figure things out.

For others, they might have a laser-life focus on the learning. We knew someone who was the first person in his family to ever do higher education and secured a place in Durham. He was absolutely determined he was not going to waste the opportunity his family had sacrificed quite a bit to give him, and I don't think I ever saw anyone with a stronger work ethic. Proper "working class dragging themselves up by their bootstraps" stuff

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X