• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loving my wood burner. Where to get wood in bulk from?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving my wood burner. Where to get wood in bulk from?

As gas prices rise, I'm using my wood burner on an almost daily basis. Literally keep the whole house warm and the central heating switches off. Hoping this will help aleviate the increase in gas/electric as the price of wood is pretty much the same as last year. Very lucky that when I moved house a couple of years ago it came with a couple of wood burning stoves.

I'm currently buying wood from places like Aldi, B&M etc typically about £4-£5 a bag. But I'm thinking there must be a much cheaper way of getting wood. Any suggestions?

Google? Local community facebook groups?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You may have heard of a website called google.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=firewood+for+sale+near+me
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Google? Local community facebook groups?
        I was thinking to buy it in bulk rather than salvage it from here or there. I'm thinking bulk could bring down the cost by 30 or 40% which mean I can heat my home for about £3/day during the winter. A lot cheaper than gas.

Comment

As a contractor I heat my home by burning speculative loan and credit card letters from the likes of Funding Circle etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            As a contractor I heat my home by burning speculative loan and credit card letters from the likes of Funding Circle etc.
            That may help bring down the cost to £2.95/day. Fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              As gas prices rise, I'm using my wood burner on an almost daily basis. Literally keep the whole house warm and the central heating switches off. Hoping this will help aleviate the increase in gas/electric as the price of wood is pretty much the same as last year. Very lucky that when I moved house a couple of years ago it came with a couple of wood burning stoves.

I'm currently buying wood from places like Aldi, B&M etc typically about £4-£5 a bag. But I'm thinking there must be a much cheaper way of getting wood. Any suggestions?
              Tree surgeons can't give enough away free. Contact them, you will have to store the wood for two or three years to dry out
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Pallets. You can get them free from all kinds of places - building works, local businesses (especially glaziers). They're usually made of pine and are completely safe to burn as long as they're not painted and have been heat treated rather than chemically treated (the chemical treatment is methyl bromide, so those ones will have MB stamped on them). This page shows you which markings to check for https://www.universalpallets.com/201...llet-markings/
                Buy a cheapo circular saw to quickly slice them into suitable bits, don't bother taking the nails out, you can sweep them out in the ash afterwards.

At least that's what I'd do if I had a log burner

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

I was thinking to buy it in bulk rather than salvage it from here or there. I'm thinking bulk could bring down the cost by 30 or 40% which mean I can heat my home for about £3/day during the winter. A lot cheaper than gas.
                  And that's why you need to find a local bod on the community groups. There are a couple that advertise regularly on our community groups and they'll deliver. You don't want the stores or retail ones.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unless you live in a big city, search on eBay, local facebook marketplace, etc for a local delivery, or go to some of the big companies
                    https://www.logsdirect.co.uk/kiln-dr...logs-dumpy-bag
                    https://www.coals2u.co.uk/logs-heatl...ried-logs.html
                    ...etc
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X