• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vexing phrases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
    So, beginning a sentence with a conjunction really gets my goat
    God yes, and we've had a load of that with all these Covid academics they've wheeled out over the last couple of years to pontificate!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by La Petite Valse View Post

O.I.C

I believe they're originally from the US. Isn't the bean in baked beans a navy bean & these are predominantly grown over there? Also think cowboys, Blazing Saddles etc
    Oh beans in sauce are American/Mexican but the on toast bit is British.

Leave a comment:

• La Petite Valse
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Oh yes - the oh tends to get lost so its just yes.

I used to work with a militant scot who wanted Scottish dialects recognised as an actual language. Nice bloke, terrible drinker.

or if with NLyUK

OOOOHHHHH YESSSS!
    O.I.C

I hadn't realised beans on toast were actually British. learn something new. I assumed they were Mexican or similar.

https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-bak...20white%20bean.
    I believe they're originally from the US. Isn't the bean in baked beans a navy bean & these are predominantly grown over there? Also think cowboys, Blazing Saddles etc
    Last edited by La Petite Valse; 7 February 2022, 10:37.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I've never known what that means but this one was definitely pronounced with a H so probably not that one.
    Oh yes - the oh tends to get lost so its just yes.

I used to work with a militant scot who wanted Scottish dialects recognised as an actual language. Nice bloke, terrible drinker.

or if with NLyUK

OOOOHHHHH YESSSS!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

No, he was about as Spanish as beans on toast.
    hokay - Yang always said it a bit like that.

I hadn't realised beans on toast were actually British. learn something new. I assumed they were Mexican or similar.

https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-bak...20white%20bean.

Leave a comment:

• La Petite Valse
    replied

Spanish heritage? I worked with a large number of Venezuelans (identifying as Portuguese via their grandparents to get an EU passport) and they tended to pronounce OK a bit like that. Good guys, apparently one started there and he recommended all his friends.
    No, he was about as Spanish as beans on toast.

Leave a comment:

• La Petite Valse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Och aye?
    I've never known what that means but this one was definitely pronounced with a H so probably not that one.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    A project manager used to always start his meetings with "okay..."

But, instead of pronouncing it okay he would, bizarrely, pronounce it "hock-eye" instead. Maybe he had some kind of speech impediment, or something, but it really got my goat.
    Spanish heritage? I worked with a large number of Venezuelans (identifying as Portuguese via their grandparents to get an EU passport) and they tended to pronounce OK a bit like that. Good guys, apparently one started there and he recommended all his friends.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Its your round!
    Whatever

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    A project manager used to always start his meetings with "okay..."

But, instead of pronouncing it okay he would, bizarrely, pronounce it "hock-eye" instead. Maybe he had some kind of speech impediment, or something, but it really got my goat.
    Och aye?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X