• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vexing phrases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    When people use literally incorrectly. Only this morning some put in our chat they 'literally drank their bodyweight on Friday night'
    You told him he was a lightweight?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Exactly. It's an attempt to subliminally suggest "This is so", or "so be it", like an all-knowing oracle uttering unassailable words of wisdom.
    Not in my experience. Younger people use it to demonstrate uncertainty or awkwardness. "soooo, I'm gluten-intolerant."

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Beginning with "so" is incorrect, if there is no preceding statement from which this statement follows on, or if "so" is followed by a justifying statement (as in, "So, because people start speaking with the word 'so', they are irritating f***wits"). "So, I'm James and I'm a f***wit" is grammatically incorrect.
    Exactly. It's an attempt to subliminally suggest "This is so", or "so be it", like an all-knowing oracle uttering unassailable words of wisdom.

"So, I'm the departmental head. My name is Dee, and I'm part mental!"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When people use literally incorrectly. Only this morning some put in our chat they 'literally drank their bodyweight on Friday night'
    So that literally makes my blood boil.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

And why is that? It's not incorrect.
    Beginning with "so" is incorrect, if there is no preceding statement from which this statement follows on, or if "so" is followed by a justifying statement (as in, "So, because people start speaking with the word 'so', they are irritating f***wits"). "So, I'm James and I'm a f***wit" is grammatically incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    "To be fair...." - someone trying to justify something they know doesn't have support of others

"I, personally, ....." - as opposed to someone else personally?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Maybe he wanted to sound vaguely Japanese, in the (probably forlorn) hope of subliminally encouraging renowned Japanese speed and efficiency in his staff!
    Fair you should be - Kaizen and Kanban make massive improvements implemented properly.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
    So, beginning a sentence with a conjunction really gets my goat
    And why is that? It's not incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by La Petite Valse View Post
    A project manager used to always start his meetings with "okay..."

But, instead of pronouncing it okay he would, bizarrely, pronounce it "hock-eye" instead. Maybe he had some kind of speech impediment, or something, but it really got my goat.
    Maybe he wanted to sound vaguely Japanese, in the (probably forlorn) hope of subliminally encouraging renowned Japanese speed and efficiency in his staff!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X