• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hope this isn't one of you -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Doesn't all that describe estate agents rather well? Or am I thinking of recruitment consultants?
    Well everyone knows agents are mostly gay, that's probably why this couple used PB in the first place

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

It may be "clear" to some, but they insisted on using the KJV with it's archaic language
    Yeah I don't get that either. It's quite common in a certain type of conservative as if they think it's the "original" version and more modern ones are less accurate, rather than that it was written in (I assume) the language of the time. It can be a lovely way to read scripture - I prefer the NKJV - but we had pretty major ructions to get the bible accessible in English a few centuries back after all.

That said "whisperer" is still pretty obvious. If you described Dom Cummings as a whisperer I think we'd know what you meant.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    "Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful..."
    Doesn't all that describe estate agents rather well? Or am I thinking of recruitment consultants?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I assume even to you it's clear "whisperers" doesn't mean people who go round talking sotto voice? Like when we call people "snakes in the grass" we don't literally mean they are snakes.

I'm not sure why the other things are a problem to you, why you highlighted the ones you did? Possibly "without understanding" would have been the most apt
    It may be "clear" to some, but they insisted on using the KJV with it's archaic language, which makes it easy to be re-interpreted to suit whatever message the person quoiting it wants.
    The other things aren't a problem to me, per se. I have a bigger issue with "Christians" who preach and live Paul's epistles, but ignore (or don't live by) Christ's teaching.

And I accept I am without understanding in many things, for example when it comes to the questions that those in Corinth wrote to Paul that prompted the two of his replies which made it in to the NT. Or how the parable of the sheep and the goats applies to the current direction this country is heading in.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So, they can't sell their house to anyone who whispers, or is proud. And they shouldn't try to sell if it's clear they are happy to break the covenant they enter into with their estate agent, or if they show no mercy to others.
    I assume even to you it's clear "whisperers" doesn't mean people who go round talking sotto voice? Like when we call people "snakes in the grass" we don't literally mean they are snakes.

I'm not sure why the other things are a problem to you, why you highlighted the ones you did? Possibly "without understanding" would have been the most apt

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

"Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful..."

Sounds like most of the people on this forum...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

“As it is contrary to the gracious teaching in God’s Word, the Holy Bible, e.g. Romans 1:24-28 and Jude 7 (King James Version).”
    Nice to see selective quoting, if they had actually read just a couple more verses of Romans 1, they'd maybe have an issue...

Here's verses 29-31, i.e. other people they really should add to their list of unsuitable buyers, unless it doesn't actually suit their version of what they believe:

So, they can't sell their house to anyone who whispers, or is proud. And they shouldn't try to sell if it's clear they are happy to break the covenant they enter into with their estate agent, or if they show no mercy to others.
    They really should spend less time in Paul's letters and more in the gospels.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So, the sellers thought they could make extra mammon for themselves and that love has caused all kinds of problems for them. If only there was a book that talked about that...
    THe good book certainly doesn't endorse getting scalped 3% by an estate agent who sends a spotty teen round to show your home

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    With it being on PB. you get direct contact with the seller which potentially means you can see who is looking if they have a profile with photos (I think). So it's possibly unwittingly aiding prejudice because now you can see they're black before they visit.

I wonder if this will rumble on and the sellers will complain to PB that their listing has been removed due to their religious beliefs, because PB presumably are NOT allowed to discriminate?

Reminds me a bit of the AirBnB contract - they added in sections IIRC that explicitly state "you can't ban gays" or something along those lines. I imagine a lot of AirBnB people are 'particular' about who they allow in their own home/bed.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    It probably happens more often because property owners decide to do the selling themselves, so they are in direct contact with the prospective buyers from day 1.
    If it was done through an EA, the sellers wouldn't know anything about the buyers (apart from maybe the surname of one of them when a viewing is arranged) up until the point that solicitors get involved.
    So, the sellers thought they could make extra mammon for themselves and that love has caused all kinds of problems for them. If only there was a book that talked about that...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X