• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hope this isn't one of you -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

You're surprised fairy tale books are still legal to sell? Weird.
    Actually the original fairy tales and their donor stories make parts of the bible look a bit tame. Obviously excluding the big murders - God drowning the world but saving Gilgamesh/Noah, Herod's infanticide etc.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fairy...tory_b_6102602

Apparently Cinderella's prince was a bit like AtW and had a squirrel fetish.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/un...g-fairy-tales/

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ge...rothers-grimm/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Do you really think that if someone wrote a fiction book today, with the same content and messages that are present in religious texts, that they would be allowed?
    Eh? People write stuff like that all the time.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I think it's more the fact these fairy tale books have homo-phobic as well as other undesirable content that is surprising. I think Harry Potter level fairy tale books are fine.

Do you really think that if someone wrote a fiction book today, with the same content and messages that are present in religious texts, that they would be allowed?
    Yes.

People still write discriminatory drivel and even worse can self-publish on sites like Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

You're surprised fairy tale books are still legal to sell? Weird.
    I think it's more the fact these fairy tale books have homo-phobic as well as other undesirable content that is surprising. I think Harry Potter level fairy tale books are fine.

Do you really think that if someone wrote a fiction book today, with the same content and messages that are present in religious texts, that they would be allowed? Religious texts though are protected despite zero evidence of a god.

I'm all for allowing people to believe whatever they want, but I'm not up for allowing bigoted views and the preaching of these views being protected because it's 'religious'.

As for these specific sellers, they're bigoted idiots.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Humans don't work on pure logic though. Nostalgia and illogical sentimentality are part of who we are. To switch it around, it's actually quite common that sellers will perhaps choose a buyer (if there are multiple offers) based on who they like best, or to give a new family a house they will love, even if it's not quite the highest offer. We just sold our first ever home and preferred a charity who would use it to home veterans (or something like that) even though they couldn't quite match a higher option from some professional landlord.

Legally or morally? Where do you find this judgement?
    Oh sure you can decide based on who you like but the next house was very popular and we needed to move fast. They were cash buyers £0.5 million quid in the bank apparently.

Both actually. I see sexuality to frequently be biological based so its not a moral issue and legally if proven it would be discrimination.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...iscrimination/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    As I told the wife its their money and their house they can do what they like with it!
    Humans don't work on pure logic though. Nostalgia and illogical sentimentality are part of who we are. To switch it around, it's actually quite common that sellers will perhaps choose a buyer (if there are multiple offers) based on who they like best, or to give a new family a house they will love, even if it's not quite the highest offer. We just sold our first ever home and preferred a charity who would use it to home veterans (or something like that) even though they couldn't quite match a higher option from some professional landlord.

Refusing to sell to someone because of their sexuality is wrong
    Legally or morally? Where do you find this judgement?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

FTFY
    Indeed no accounting for taste. If I had known Warty a decade ago he would have loved it!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

We sold the last house to a couple whose husband was a city trader. The house had been completely redone, gimp rooms, water beds etc, but they ripped everything out and redid it.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I could think of 3 logicially self-consistent scenarios to one's bias:
    1. You simply don't want to have any interaction - even at arm's length - with someone because you believe it might make you 'unclean' or because your beliefs tell you you shouldn't. Jews/Samaritans for instance.
    2. You hold views which tell you that person is unlikely to be trustworthy e.g. you hold racist views that Russians are dodgy, or the person comes across as a geezer and you would rather sell to someone more straightforward.
    3. You simply have an emotional attachment to your house and it pains you to think of someone coming in despoiling your years of work, when they walk around "ooh we could knock all this down". Financially that makes no sense but sentimentality is hardly uncommon.
    We sold the last house to a couple whose husband was a city trader. The house had been completely redone but they ripped everything out and redid it.

As I told the wife its their money and their house they can do what they like with it! Refusing to sell to someone because of their sexuality is wrong. Before anyone gets confused the new owners appeared to be Muslims (name & attire matched I never confirmed their faith as it wasn't any of my business). Pretty sure they weren't gay!

The Cake thing was more about the Bakers right to refuse to support a political opinion (Gay marriage was illegal at the time). If you were asked to make a BLM themed cake do you have a right to refuse? How about a Go Israel cake? Vote Trump or Support the EDL cake? They are all legal.
    Last edited by vetran; 24 January 2022, 10:09.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    4. Realising that your 'dream house' is not available you, use all of your media savvy mates to kick up a storm and 'regretfully' cause the, probably not media savvy, vendors much grief, up to and including losing their employment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X