• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, anyone watch the F1 yesterday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, anyone watch the F1 yesterday?

I'm a pretty avid F1 fan, it's the one sport I follow properly. As far as I'm concerned after following every twist and turn of the championship, the result yesterday was an utter farce contrived to deliver an exciting finish on track at any cost, regardless of the correct sporting result. The final race had huge interest outside the normal fan base and it felt like the FIA were desperate to avoid such an eventful season ending with anti-climax in front of a new audience.

But I wondered what others, especially more casual viewers thought?

I have to say I thought both Lewis and his dad were extremely classy in their reaction, immediately running to congratulate Max after a horrendous last-minute result. No whining in the interview or on the podium, great sporting behaviour when they must have been raging inside. I wouldn't like to have been anywhere near Toto on the other hand!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

What actually happened (or didn't). All I have heard is that Verstappen won and Mercedes are complaining about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      What actually happened (or didn't). All I have heard is that Verstappen won and Mercedes are complaining about it.
      There was a safety car 5 laps from the end, Max came in (from 2nd) to put on new tyres. This dropped him behind several lapped cars.
      Normally, they would get everything safe then let all the lapped cars un-lap themselves before the start. But this would have taken so long the race would have finished under the safety car.
      So they said "we're just going to restart with one lap to go" - Max would have to overtake 3 or 4 lapped cars.
      Last minute, they said "oh no let the cars between Max and Lewis pass". Max was then right behind Lewis on brand new tyres and the result was obvious.

Interestingly, they did not let cars between other drivers fighting for points past. Only between #1 and #2, to force an exciting finish... which wasn't actually exciting because it was a foregone conclusion.

In any other race, it would have finished behind the safety car.

The controversy is that the race director appears to have just made it up as he went along, nobody knew what was happening. He was talking to the team leaders as they tried to argue what he should do. Nobody is entirely sure what the rules are in this situation.

TLDR; it's a bit like at the end of the world cup 90minutes it's a draw, and the ref suddenly says "ok no extra time, next goal wins".
      Last edited by d000hg; 13 December 2021, 11:06.

Comment

It was a shocking decision by Masi. As have so many been this year.
        Max is a well deserved champion, but this should have been Lewis's race and therefore championship.
        Liberty Media have done very well and got the exciting TV climax races they desire.
        Masi needs to go.

If they really wanted a fair race finish they could have red-flagged the race when Latifa crashed. And then had a 4/5 lap sprint race with all drivers on fresh rubber. Still not fair on Lewis but that's racing. What happened yesterday was not.

Onwards to 2022 with loads of new cars.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Nobody is entirely sure what the rules are in this situation.
          everyone was sure what the rules WERE. Masi just rewrote them on the spot.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            It was a shocking decision by Masi. As have so many been this year.
            Max is a well deserved champion, but this should have been Lewis's race and therefore championship.
            Liberty Media have done very well and got the exciting TV climax races they desire.
            Masi needs to go.

If they really wanted a fair race finish they could have red-flagged the race when Latifa crashed. And then had a 4/5 lap sprint race with all drivers on fresh rubber. Still not fair on Lewis but that's racing. What happened yesterday was not.

Onwards to 2022 with loads of new cars.
            Absolutely no criticism on Max btw. He is amazing and did exactly what he should in the race. It's almost impossible to say who deserves it most, but Lewis was clearly an easy winner of that particular race.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

everyone was sure what the rules WERE. Masi just rewrote them on the spot.
              Not really. Unlapping cars is not mandatory, and from reading a few articles the rules book suggests the race director has some authority over how things are done... this will have to go through the courts. But yes even if he was allowed to do that, Massi did a terrible job.

Quite a few drivers think this could be overturned. I wouldn't be surprised.
              All this FIA radio with the teams is exciting but has clearly got a bit silly now. Being lobbied mid-race is ridiculous.

Comment

Hmm does sound a bit suss

Comment

Th right call would have been to red flag the race which would have left them a three lap shoot out with everyone on a level playing field. Massi cocked up big time by not taking that option.

Fair to say that Verstappen would not have beaten Hamilton without Massi's doubtful interpretation of the position. This season did not demand an USA-style contrived finale, it is not WWE. That said, both drivers (and not both teams, RB need to take a look at themselves) were equally worthy champions (and that from an avowed Hamilton supporter!).

Mercedes won the constructors title, which is the more important thing commercially. However F1 as a sport has just done itself untold damage. If the result is undone in the courts (unlikely but possible) and Hamilton becomes the champion, that is an equally unacceptable outcome.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Th right call would have been to red flag the race which would have left them a three lap shoot out with everyone on a level playing field. Massi cocked up big time by not taking that option.

Fair to say that Verstappen would not have beaten Hamilton without Massi's doubtful interpretation of the position. This season did not demand an USA-style contrived finale, it is not WWE. That said, both drivers (and not both teams, RB need to take a look at themselves) were equally worthy champions (and that from an avowed Hamilton supporter!).

Mercedes won the constructors title, which is the more important thing commercially. However F1 as a sport has just done itself untold damage. If the result is undone in the courts (unlikely but possible) and Hamilton becomes the champion, that is an equally unacceptable outcome.
                    Finally a topic on which we can agree Yeah a red flag would still have been somewhat controversial but at least not such a ****-show. In normal F1, ending under the SC is the 'proper' result since red flag shouldn't be used for racing, only safety. But it would have been a reasonable decision and fitting to the season.

Quite agree that both drivers have been sensational. Lewis probably at his best. The gap those two routinely extend even over their team-mates has been crazy.

Comment

Working...
                    X