• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Space gain from Chimney Breast removal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space gain from Chimney Breast removal

Searched all over the internet to figure out how much internal space will be gained upon removal of Chimney Breast on a Semi-detached 1930's property, but failed to get an idea.

Has any one done it or seen it removed and how much inside space does it provide? I am trying to decide if it is worth doing by comparing Cost vs Space gained.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 24 November 2021, 10:23.

Without wishing to sound stupid......surely the size of the breast?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not being facetious. Unless it's some super weird design, you should be able to remove the breast completely back to the wall it's attached to giving a flush wall
    Last edited by vwdan; 24 November 2021, 10:25.

Comment

Don't they teach that thing at primary school where you measure the area of a big square then measure the area of a smaller square add the two together to get the combined area?

In older houses the chimney breast is integral to the supporting wall and travels up the house through to the roof so will require complete removal on all floors and the roof so is very rarely worth it if at all possible. I can't remember seeing any design programme that's done this and haven't seen a renovation that has done this either.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 24 November 2021, 10:28.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Without wishing to sound stupid......surely the size of the breast?
        No you are right. But I am unable to figure out the Chimney projection in Feet/CM/Inches that is inside the living room. So I was hoping that most of the standard chimenys will have standard space gains when removed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

No you are right. But I am unable to figure out the Chimney projection in Feet/CM/Inches that is inside the living room. So I was hoping that most of the standard chimenys will have standard space gains when removed.
          I'm not with you? Surely you can measure the big box projecting out of the wall? That'll no longer be there after....

Depth * Width * Height ....

Comment

Questions:
            1. Are you planning to remove the stack as well, or just the part in the room?
            2. If you're just removing the breast and not the stack, you may need to support the stack (or leave part of the breast in place to do that) - speak to a structural engineer. 3. Is it a bungalow, or multi-storey building? (If multi-storey, are you planning to remove from all floors?)
            4. Is it on the side that is attached to the neighbour, and do they have a chimney in the same place? - speak to a structural engineer.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Questions:
              1. Are you planning to remove the stack as well, or just the part in the room?
              2. If you're just removing the breast and not the stack, you may need to support the stack (or leave part of the breast in place to do that) - speak to a structural engineer. 3. Is it a bungalow, or multi-storey building? (If multi-storey, are you planning to remove from all floors?)
              4. Is it on the side that is attached to the neighbour, and do they have a chimney in the same place? - speak to a structural engineer.
              5. Is this even real?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Post some pictures over on https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/ and you'll get your answers.

Could be prohibitively expensive (even more-so if property is two storey) as it'll probably be structural/load bearing.

As for space gain, i too can't understand why it wouldn't be anything other than the bit sticking out of the wall...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

5. Is this even real?
                  5. Is this just fantasy?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

5. Is this just fantasy?
                    If he gets the removal wrong, he could be caught in a landslide
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X