• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many smoke alarms do you have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many smoke alarms do you have?

Replacing the smoke alarms in the house with combined smoke are carbon detectors, and looking at the recommendations it says one in every sleeping room, and outside the same room doors.

Due to the shape of the house that will mean 4 detectors within a couple of feet of each other just to cover two of the bedrooms!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Replacing the smoke alarms in the house with combined smoke are carbon detectors, and looking at the recommendations it says one in every sleeping room, and outside the same room doors.

Due to the shape of the house that will mean 4 detectors within a couple of feet of each other just to cover two of the bedrooms!
    do you sleep with the doors shut

We have outside kitchen, hallway and landing - all that is needed.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not sure if you might have to consider building regs on this?

Smoking alarms are pennies though.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Can't see a real need for that many, personally. We have 3x Nests which do smoke and CO - Downstairs Hall, Upstairs Landing and Utility Room on the back of the house (Seemed prudent as all white goods and the boiler are there)

Comment

interconnected alarms.

1 for bedrooms

1 for landing & hallway - exit

1 for each lounge

1 for kitchen = heat.

only problem is if one of us is up early and burns the toast with the kitchen door open all the alarms go off.

You can never be too careful
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

One, in the hallway, the most central part of the flat.

When I had my house in Sussex, I had one on the first floor landing and one in the ground floor hallway outside the kitchen.

The parentals, in a bungalow, have one in the middle of the hallway.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Can't see a real need for that many, personally. We have 3x Nests which do smoke and CO - Downstairs Hall, Upstairs Landing and Utility Room on the back of the house (Seemed prudent as all white goods and the boiler are there)
              We use Simplisafe and it includes smoke detectors (not sure CO actually, that would be nice) which similarly gets you a connected system very simply.

Comment

We have two. Bottom hallway, all rooms off this, and Upstairs landing, again all rooms off. They are pretty accurate and will go off whenever there is a cock up in the kitchen (usually me). If they go off with burnt toast or a very smoky steak then I am confident they'll give enough notice in a fire. It's not like it's going to be choking smoke before they go off.

Mine are wired in and I didn't pick the cheapest.

That recommendation sounds a bit over the top to me but I am guessing the more the better at the end of the day.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 7 October 2021, 13:37.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  That recommendation sounds way over the top to me.
                  Good to keep an eye on kids doing stuff though

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1930-0635_0001-1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	937.7 KB
ID:	4186402
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X