• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What kind of Tory are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

They can become deputy leader of the Labour party.
    No they can't unless they were a single mother at 16.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Hmm, that sounds quite interesting. Must look out for it.

I assumed is was some fancy coffee, like those beans extracted from civet cat droppings!
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary...-nero-glossary

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

What chance to kids born to parents with (say) substance abuse or other crippling problems have?

They can become deputy leader of the Labour party.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Cavolo nero is a very dark green, leafy vegetable of the cabbage family. Quite bitter, compared to spring greens, with tougher leaves. Kale on steriods, you could say.
    Hmm, that sounds quite interesting. Must look out for it.

I assumed is was some fancy coffee, like those beans extracted from civet cat droppings!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Not a pop at you, a pop at the myth that hard work is what separates the haves from the have nots.
    It might not be the only factor, but barring being born into wealth, you don't get to be a 'have' without hard work on top. Circumstances beyond your control might decide whether you are in that position in the first place, but you still have to work.

The idea "everyone is where they are because they chose to be" or "poor people are poor because they don't want to work hard" IS a pretty big oversimplification.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Little chance regardless of political ideology. Not sure what your point is, I am just answering the question not seeking to defend my parents; value system.
    Not a pop at you, a pop at the myth that hard work is what separates the haves from the have nots.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

They may have been born poor but they probably had parents who cared.

What chance to kids born to parents with (say) substance abuse or other crippling problems have?
    Little chance regardless of political ideology. Not sure what your point is, I am just answering the question not seeking to defend my parents; value system.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    And they'll have never heard of cavolo nero, whatever that is
    Cavolo nero is a very dark green, leafy vegetable of the cabbage family. Quite bitter, compared to spring greens, with tougher leaves. Kale on steriods, you could say.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've still not really figured out where I sit but my parents certainly epitomised the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" Tory ideals of people like Maggie.
    They may have been born poor but they probably had parents who cared.

Sure some of them make it but it is a myth that anyone can succeed through hard work alone. The hardest working people I have met typically perform the loudest/dirtiest/most tedious poorly paid work.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    i'm more a noncontribuTory

Leave a comment:

Working...
X