• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

B'Liar likes tax evoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetran
    replied
    Unfortunately I really dislike B'Liar the warmonger so I hope the tax avoidance unravels.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Re the Blairs, we may not like them, we may not like that they have save millions in tax, but so long as it's avoidance and not evasion then it's tough t*tty for the tax payer.
    Yeah, I agree - it becomes a moral rather than legal argument.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Depends how dodgy the avoidance is. ISAs are not dodgy at all. But expenses through a LTD could well be legit or they might be evasion, depending on what you are expensing.

20 years ago i was at at a gig and many of the contractors were signing up to an extremely dodgy deprecating currency loan scheme.

They all though it was legit tax avoidance. I stayed well clear.
    In the eyes of the law there is no such thing as dodgy avoidance.

It's either legit avoidance, or it's illegal avoidance and hence evasion.

So, if the expense is 'dodgy' avoidance then it's fraud. Simple as.

Re the Blairs, we may not like them, we may not like that they have save millions in tax, but so long as it's avoidance and not evasion then it's tough t*tty for the tax payer.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Nothing wrong with avoiding tax (I assume thats what you mean) I avoid tax with my pension, my ISA, any time I put an expense though MyCo. We have just finally persuaded my nan to move to the house in Spain and sell her place in England to avoid IHT
    Depends how dodgy the avoidance is. ISAs are not dodgy at all. But expenses through a LTD could well be legit or they might be evasion, depending on what you are expensing.

20 years ago i was at at a gig and many of the contractors were signing up to an extremely dodgy deprecating currency loan scheme.

They all though it was legit tax avoidance. I stayed well clear.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    "evoidance" being a witty portmanteau of avoidance and evasion?

I don't believe you made that up, so you either got lucky with a typo or pinched it
    It wasn't typo.

Have used it for years, check my posts, to mock Hector's attempt to merge the two when he wants to. Back when IR35 affected me. Not sure I nicked it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    "evoidance" being a witty portmanteau of avoidance and evasion?

I don't believe you made that up, so you either got lucky with a typo or pinched it

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    As the BBC article points out, it's very normal to transfer property within a holding company. Tony claims the seller insisted on doing it this way (who knows if that's true).

The only awkward part is that he specifically pointed out this case about 20 years ago as one that was bad and should be stopped.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Nothing wrong with avoiding tax (I assume thats what you mean) I avoid tax with my pension, my ISA, any time I put an expense though MyCo. We have just finally persuaded my nan to move to the house in Spain and sell her place in England to avoid IHT
    But, but, but, but .... that's not the same as when a rich person does it

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Have you ever gone to country and suggest that we all should pay more tax?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X