• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updating my home conference kit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating my home conference kit

Looking to upgrade my home conference kit (webcam, speakerphone, wireless headset) - what's everyone else using these days?

I'm looking towards the following:

- Logitech webcam C920S Pro
    - Jabra 750 speakerphone
    - Jabra Evolve 75 with charging stand

Would prefer a more integrated speakerphone / wireless headset if one is available.

Thoughts and recommendations

This ought to be in technical...

I have the webcam and headset. I find the headset makes my right ear hurt with the pressure on it. If you're working from home in a quiet environment you don't need a headset, make use of speakers and a microphone instead as it's much more comfortable. If you like to work from co-working places, coffee shops and so on then it's a good headset to get as it does a good job of noise cancellation.

If you're getting the Jabra headset because it claims to work with Teams (in theory, you should be able to answer a call by pressing a button on the right ear) then you'll be disappointed - MS did something and that functionality no longer works and neither MS nor Jabra are taking responsibility for it. It's all over various forums. I spent a long time trying to work out why my headset wasn't working as expected in that regard...

Comment

Oh and think about lighting too. Most home offices don't really have good lighting for video so consider a clip on usb lamp or some such that will better illuminate you for video calls.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
        Looking to upgrade my home conference kit (webcam, speakerphone, wireless headset) - what's everyone else using these days?

I'm looking towards the following:

- Logitech webcam C920S Pro
        - Jabra 750 speakerphone
        - Jabra Evolve 75 with charging stand

Would prefer a more integrated speakerphone / wireless headset if one is available.

Thoughts and recommendations
        Why the 750 and the 75s?

I have a Nikon D7000 with cam link providing the video, Rode NT-USB Mini mic and two Elgato Key Light Air's for lighting.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have the Jabra evolve2 65 and it works fine with Teams. You can answer a call by tapping the side or by flipping down the mic. Battery lasts for days without charging.
          Make sure you pick the correct model that comes with either USB-A or USB-C dongle. If you need to change this dongle they’re about £60-70. Laptops are starting to ditch USB-A.

Comment

I've just treated myself to the Jabra 750 - I'm pretty happy with it and haven't had any complaints. Apparently it can be a bit echo-y, but I had that with myold Plantronics too so I think it's just the nature of it.

Either way, I like it - I like that it's Bluetooth too, and the integrated stand is a nice touch. When I compared it to the cheaper versions it seemed worthwhile to spend that little bit more.

I moved from the Plantronics because I've had nothing but issues with it since I got it a few years back - it was never very good, and the app integration was very flaky

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              This ought to be in technical...

I have the webcam and headset. I find the headset makes my right ear hurt with the pressure on it. If you're working from home in a quiet environment you don't need a headset, make use of speakers and a microphone instead as it's much more comfortable. If you like to work from co-working places, coffee shops and so on then it's a good headset to get as it does a good job of noise cancellation.

If you're getting the Jabra headset because it claims to work with Teams (in theory, you should be able to answer a call by pressing a button on the right ear) then you'll be disappointed - MS did something and that functionality no longer works and neither MS nor Jabra are taking responsibility for it. It's all over various forums. I spent a long time trying to work out why my headset wasn't working as expected in that regard...
              Thanks for the feedback, the headset issue is not a dealbreaker but understand it can be annoying.

TBH, I'll mainly be using the speakerphone but occasionally headset is preferable if I need to walk around the house or client call quality is not great. Good to have that flexibility.

And thanks for mentioning the lighting as I struggle at some times of the day. I'll research this area too so any recommendations would be great.

Comment

LM is right on the lighting. I have 3 that manage to minimise the glare on my head mounted solar panel and hide the double chin.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I've just treated myself to the Jabra 750 - I'm pretty happy with it and haven't had any complaints. Apparently it can be a bit echo-y, but I had that with myold Plantronics too so I think it's just the nature of it.

Either way, I like it - I like that it's Bluetooth too, and the integrated stand is a nice touch. When I compared it to the cheaper versions it seemed worthwhile to spend that little bit more.

I moved from the Plantronics because I've had nothing but issues with it since I got it a few years back - it was never very good, and the app integration was very flaky
                  I have a diddy 'in ear' plantronics headset (the voyager legend) which has been really reliable but I get ear ache from that too. As it's so small, that's my travel headset now.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I have a diddy 'in ear' plantronics headset (the voyager legend) which has been really reliable but I get ear ache from that too. As it's so small, that's my travel headset now.
                    At least it's not just your fella getting ear ache in your house then
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X