• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how big should your warchest be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how big should your warchest be?

Had a discussion with a friend who's been offered a contract and is thinking of leaving permiedom for it.

This ended up with a talk regarding the optimal size of one's warchest. I told him mine is set to cover me for 2 years, and he claims that's rather extreme and surely one shouldn't need more than 6 months if that.

What do you guys think?

It's all down to your attitude to risk.

I'd say 6 months is the bare minimum and if you can stash more then you should.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      It's all down to your attitude to risk.

I'd say 6 months is the bare minimum and if you can stash more then you should.
      That seems prudent. Also I think one should factor in the normal demand and availability for one's skillset and plan accordingly.
      I've never been without a contract for more than 2 weeks, but I tend to be over prudent - I'd rather be safe than sorry. But my friend seems to be blinded by the amount of money he'd get and doesn't, imho, consider the risks that come with the move (in NL it's a bit harder to move between contract and perm because mr Taxman is a bit of a c-word).

Comment

10 to 20 years should be adequate IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          we call that a retirement fund

Comment

Mine runs out when i'm 120 years old .... I'll start to think about it in more detail when I get my telegram off King William
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Mine runs out when i'm 120 years old .... I'll start to think about it in more detail when I get my telegram off King William
              so, next month?

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

so, next month?
                Cheeky git ... no, April 2023
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Cheeky git ... no, April 2023
                  "baack in the days of Wiliam the Conqueror..."

Comment

This size is best.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81vkXCz7B6L._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	4184287
                    qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X