• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

psychocandys morale dilemna

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psychocandys morale dilemna

OK appreciate normally my morals are on par with an alley cat with syphilis but how about this?

After almost 5 years, contract ends in 3 weeks. Public sector client is not renewing anyone over two years. Bummer indeed.
    Local management not happy but been forced down this route.

I ain't got anything sorted yet so in 3 weeks time its JSA £74 a week.

Team leader called me today. Now they've offered me perm many times and I've knocked them back. Salary is not great.
    Apparently, job is being advertised. They struggled last time and it took them 2 years to get someone.
    So they wanted to know if I was interested with the promise of some decent AWS training.

Now you can tell what I'm thinking maybe....
    Pay is crap - it'd be about 60% of contract rate but its better than JSA. Still WFH and to be honest, the job is EASY EASY EASY.

Its crossed my mind to take the perm role but the keep looking and bail when something better comes along. BUT, and I must be getting soft, this is a bit off isnt it?
    Can't imagine they'd be pleased if I took the perm role, then bailed a month later. Important project coming up october and at the moment its going to take a hit with noone being there - there is a chance they might be happy even if they get me to stay a few months longer to cover this.

Of course, other problem would be the one month notice. Might screw up ability get a contract.

Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Sounds like you do have a morale poblem.

Seems to me taking the pemie role gives you training and breathing space.

If they are paying below the going rate where is the moral dilemma? Take it, use them and then abuse them.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Always chasing the pennies.. Leave and find another gig. You've got three weeks to find a gig and even if it takes you a bit more you'll be back in gig in less than five weeks. Don't piss about with permie land and notice just for a week or two of pay. That's counter productive. The notice period alone brings more risk in to it than having a few weeks on the bench. Get a sniff of a good outside gig which you can't take for a month and you've ****ed yourself royally.
      You've been in a good gig with an uplift for five bloody years. Why are you pissing about for two weeks money?

You don't half know how to make yourself look a bellend in any given situation.

EDIT : You've quoted on quite a few notice period posts to you know full well the 1 month is gonna kill your chances if you want a quick start... and a) this is permie notice and b)from your client you'll be seriously pissing about so that will be any negotiation out.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 8 September 2021, 20:06.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Always chasing the pennies.. Leave and find another gig. You've got three weeks to find a gig and even if it takes you a bit more you'll be back in gig in less than five weeks. Don't piss about with permie land and notice just for a week or two of pay. That's counter productive. The notice period alone brings more risk in to it than having a few weeks on the bench. Get a sniff of a good outside gig which you can't take for a month and you've ****ed yourself royally.
        You've been in a good gig with an uplift for five bloody years. Why are you pissing about for two weeks money?

You don't half know how to make yourself look a bellend in any given situation.

EDIT : You've quoted on quite a few notice period posts to you know full well the 1 month is gonna kill your chances if you want a quick start... and a) this is permie notice and b)from your client you'll be seriously pissing about so that will be any negotiation out.
        I've missed you NLUK!

But to be fair, you do raise some good points here.....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Low-paid permiedom is perfect for you, bite their hand off.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Low-paid permiedom is perfect for you, bite their hand off.
            Nailed it

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I've missed you NLUK!

But to be fair, you do raise some good points here.....
              It's exactly the same advice we give to noobs wanting to come in to contracting so bloody ridiculous having to point it out to soemeone that's been in the game 7+ years.

Comment

take some time off, start anew in a few weeks when you've had some breathing space.

they might be pushing the role done the throat as they might feel they might be in a good position.

market is booming, get even the JSA for a while and think a bit about life and our purpose in it. take some rest, holiday abroad. that's why people do contracting -> for the freedom.

if you take the perm you will have to explain later on why you quit so quickly from it, if indeed it turns miserable(which is very likely to when you start to grease the pole behind you and join the corporate stooges in meetings)

life is beautiful why be miserable for a job?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

life is beautiful why be miserable for a job?
                  He struggles just as badly with some of the basics of life as well you know.

Comment

https://aws.amazon.com/training/restart/
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X