• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car fuel additives - Do you use one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Most contractors like me aren't really bothered about paying little extra for premium fuel. It is the lack of knowledge on the junk that exist in Supermarket fuel. The answer becomes apparent only after facing the issues like the one I did. Until then, it falls under the common sense of "Why pay more when you can pay less for the same fuel?"
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09...-need-to-know/

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

Just buy premium diesel. Never ceases to amaze me people who'll put junk additives in their tank while ignoring the obvious answer staring them in the face on the fuel station forecourt.
    Most contractors like me aren't really bothered about paying little extra for premium fuel. It is the lack of knowledge on the junk that exist in Supermarket fuel. The answer becomes apparent only after facing the issues like the one I did. Until then, it falls under the common sense of "Why pay more when you can pay less for the same fuel?"

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

Just buy premium diesel. Never ceases to amaze me people who'll put junk additives in their tank while ignoring the obvious answer staring them in the face on the fuel station forecourt.
    No amount of additives and no amount of premium Diesel will prevent the clogging up of the depollution system or compression issues caused by the normal wear of the injection seals. It's a consequence of the design of modern Diesel engines.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Under the current rules my car is compliant as it meets the Euro 4 standard, according to the TFL checker.

I'm not entirely sure my car is increasing in value each year. There may be a niche group of people that think it's worth a few bob I suppose.
    My car's have been in the state where they are worth more in parts than the whole car. Which is mad but there you go... Assorted Jaguar's from an X Type to a V8 Stype, , a Mini One and two Lexus RX's... Most of them with pretty much starship miles on them so even if I am talking "bolix" at least my bolix has living proof that it actually works. My RX400h will be at 200,000 miles soon. Still doesn't rattle much.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Frequent oil changes are good but the remainder is a load of unscientific bolox
    Guess you don't know who I know then? Works for Castrol my guy. The people that blend everything.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    My Renault Kadjar (Diesel) is about 5 years old, done 20K+ miles. Regularly serviced and in fact recently came back from service too. Very frequently getting "Check Injection" and few other warning lights even after changing injector a year ago.

Having gone through various articles on the Internet, I have come to believe that Supermarket fuel might be a problem due to its inferior quality. Some seem to have got rid of these problem by using Fuel additives.

There seem to be a plethora of additive types like DPF cleaner, System Cleaner, Injector cleaner ... so on and so forth. Just wanted to ask if any one using it, is it worth it? Have you had any problem that has been resolved through use of these additives?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

You also have the most sensible car that increases in value every year. But what about ULEZ?
    Under the current rules my car is compliant as it meets the Euro 4 standard, according to the TFL checker.

I'm not entirely sure my car is increasing in value each year. There may be a niche group of people that think it's worth a few bob I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm glad I have a petrol car. This all sounds like far too much effort
    You also have the most sensible car that increases in value every year. But what about ULEZ?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm glad I have a petrol car. This all sounds like far too much effort

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    You can find all your answers here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2r...6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng

https://bobistheoilguy.com/

With a sizeable fleet of exotic cars, campervans and a few classics - and a few mechanics on the payroll, my experience is run premium fuel 1 of every 3 tanks, keep to manufacturer oil change intervals, change fuel & oil filters (OEM - there is a huge difference) 2x the recommended frequency and all is dandy.

On older diesels, we have a lot of success with Liquid Moly Diesel Purge if you are confident enough to unclip the fuel pipe; if not, draining the fuel filter and a can of Seafoam will work wonders. Try it on your lawnmower first if you would like to see how dramatic the results are on carbon deposits; be mindful that they might not end up where you want them when they are liberated.

Redex et al. are a waste of time.

95 E10 fuel from a supermarket or Harrods is the same. Period. Our cars get tested for compliance on track, and ADAC takes fuel samples. No, we don't run with MS103 because 99% of clients would not notice the difference. It is all about smooth braking.

Finally, VAG cars will set a D1 code if you remap; no one, to my knowledge, has managed to erase it & dealers will not mention it until you have a major problem, even though they will see the DTC.

CFL has bought a Dyno if any of you regulars would like to come and have a play and prove me wrong. The only problem is, you'll have to come to Kent.

Bonus! The answer to the question which confuses the internet: Yes, you can run 5w 30 in a car where the manufacturer recommends 0w 30 unless you are heading off to see the Northern Lights in winter as long as the ACEA is compatible.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 25 July 2021, 04:55.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X