• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memorable words

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorable words

Just tried to talk to one of the pension companies I use and couldn't remember the memorable words for stuff like 'What's your favourite film'. It's years since I set the account up so the chances of remembering what was my favourite film at some arbitrary point in the past is zilch So naturally they can't talk to me even though I'm logged into the account at the same time Solution is to send a message using their message function in the app but if I'm logged in with full access why can't they just post a message to me or flash up a code and ask me what it is or do like the banks and text me the code? Talking to real people is getting to be a real pain

If you're logged in then why not reset the memorable words and then phone them up?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      If you're logged in then why not reset the memorable words and then phone them up?
      Would if I could but I can't and it requires their technical team to reset them

Comment

Generally it's best to use questions where the answers won't change. So, as you said "favourite X" is a bad choice, but "what's the first film you saw in a cinema?" is better.

The new snag is that if one company has a data breach, the security questions could be used to hijack other accounts. My solution is to use fake answers and store them in my password manager. E.g. "What was your first pet?" "A hippopotamus"

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
          My solution is to use fake answers and store them in my password manager. E.g. "What was your first pet?" "A hippopotamus"
          Fake?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1394827.main_image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	4174053

Comment

Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

Fake?

I never knew Karl Pilkington had a pet hippo!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

Fake?

I must not make jokes about certain Labour MP's
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

I must not make jokes about certain Labour MP's
                Er... why not?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Er... why not?
                  OK when I first the picture I thought it was a picture of Dianne Abbott with her handler!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

OK when I first the picture I thought it was a picture of Dianne Abbott with her handler!
                    That's mean (but quite funny)

Comment

Working...
                    X