• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it because I swallow light?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    At least its black holes and not white trash. So should we just remove the word black from the dictionary and replace it with some other word which means the same thing and in the near future get all het up about how that word's used?
    Why not get rid of Black and all it's meanings and replace it for ..................... Black - A description of the colour of an item.

So black balled, blacked, black listed will disappear but a black hole, black person, black item will stay.

Another 40 years or so for the older generation to disappear to the new generation that understands only the new usage and we are sorted.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Was it switched on?
    Ah, she didn't swallow it, she ate it to try kill herself. Just the opening scene with this woman convulsing and spitting blood because of all the glass inside her had me dashing for stage left to make a coffee. The thought of it made me cringe. Nothing else really in the show did but chewing a lightbulb and swallowing the shards was too much for me for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    At least its black holes and not white trash. So should we just remove the word black from the dictionary and replace it with some other word which means the same thing and in the near future get all het up about how that word's used?
    Niger?

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/th...f98018af6.html

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It is entirely obvious that language follows from culture and therefore even some technical terms are inspired as such - certainly any number of more informal/colloquial terms are. And of course in cultures where certain groups are treated as lesser, their works will receive less credit than they perhaps should - men getting credit for women's work, white guys getting credit for black guys' work. This is historical fact and common sense though I'm not sure what purpose studying it serves.

It's also entirely obvious that Black Hole is not such a term, neither is Black Body. Since this is from the DM I imagine an element of hyperbole to froth up the sort of people you can see frothing up in the comments already.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Yeah it is retarded.

(Which is exactly what happened to the word retarded)

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    All I can think about when I read that title is an episode of Greys Anatomy, that my other half is binge watching, where a woman swallowed a light bulb to try kill herself. Made me squirm that bit did.

Was it switched on?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    All I can think about when I read that title is an episode of Greys Anatomy, that my other half is binge watching, where a woman swallowed a light bulb to try kill herself. Made me squirm that bit did.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    You can't use Event Horizon because that's a tulip movie.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Current client has stopped using Black List come up some PC alternative which i cant remember.

Black holes should be renamed to Einstein Holes or Schwarzschild holes or Space Time Holes, or just Event Horizons
    You can't use event horizon because that's a boundary, not a hole.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X