• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dark winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

FTFY

Campaigning to raise awareness about climate change is one thing. XR are just an excuse for a bunch of anarchists to cause trouble and damage property.
    Whereas you are advocating for their murder. Now who's being extreme.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    As long as you avoid the unbranded super cheap Chinese marketed crap, LED bulbs I have do not flicker in any visible way, are super bright (too bright in some cases) and last many years before replacement. Why anyone would use anything other than LED is beyond me, and govt should have banned anything using more than 5w power years ago.

Be glad when all heating and lighting is super low energy and from renewables only. Anyone who is thinking of joining XR anyway, deserves to be put to sleep.
    FTFY

Campaigning to raise awareness about climate change is one thing. XR are just an excuse for a bunch of anarchists to cause trouble and damage property.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Well there's a thing:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2012/5215/...r%20technology.

Metals such as arsenic, gallium, indium, and the rare-earth elements (REEs) cerium, europium, gadolinium, lanthanum, terbium, and yttrium are important mineral materials used in LED semiconductor technology.

Most of the world’s supply of these materials is produced as byproducts from the production of aluminum, copper, lead, and zinc. Most of the rare earths required for LED production in 2011 came from China, and most LED production facilities were located in Asia.

https://www.photonics.com/Articles/M...ed_LEDs/a58091

LED lamps are manufactured with a variety of materials, including glass or plastic for the housing, ceramic or aluminum for the heat sink, copper for the resistors and cables — and more expensive elements such as indium and gallium inside the semiconductor diode, and rare earths such as europium and terbium in the phosphor material.
    Well, there's another thing.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 June 2021, 12:27.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I've got boxes and boxes of proper tungsten light bulbs and CFLs by the dozen from the last time this nonsense happened.
    What you need are not LED bulbs but LUDD bulbs

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    From the article

LED lights last five times longer than traditional halogen bulbs and produce the same amount of light, but use up to 80% less power.
    I'm all for it, provided the LED lights are bright and can deliver "daylight" 6000K colours (which I know they can), don't flicker noticeably, and are dimmable

And aren't made in China, or with rare earth elements the Chinese have cornered the market in!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 June 2021, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• rik sherman
    replied
    A while ago I came across this interesting talk and dissection of the Dubai Lamp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaJqofCsu4

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Oddly fluorescent tubes aren't the worst as they are only rated 15W to 36W. The LED tubes are anywhere between 9w and 40w and are more expensive to buy plus possible cost to retro fit so I'd imagine most places won't be in a rush to swap them out.

It's the individual 60-100w bulbs is where the savings really are.
    Look at the lumen (how bright it is) to watt (how much power it uses) LEDs normally have a far better efficiency. Technically they should last longer if the driver is designed properly, there is less dimming over time and LEDs don't contain significant amounts of Mercury. Add in the ability to pick a wide range of colour temperatures there are few reasons to use fluorescent lighting .

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Oddly fluorescent tubes aren't the worst as they are only rated 15W to 36W. The LED tubes are anywhere between 9w and 40w and are more expensive to buy plus possible cost to retro fit so I'd imagine most places won't be in a rush to swap them out.

Quality of light is amazing switching fluoro -> LED though... for what it's worth. However you can also buy batten lights up to 6' which are cheap as chips. Seem to be more reliable than individual bulbs, maybe it's worth QC on a £30+ item but not a £3 item

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

Yeah Osram are my preference. I think it's a step it the right direction , as when fluorescent lamps / discharge lighting gets replaced it will become more efficient . Look how many super markets and offices use discharge lighting . They have to use a multiplication factor of 1.8 to ascertain your current amperage levels when designing lighting circuits

Leave a comment:

• Scorp1
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post

I believe tungsten filament bulbs are 2700K, but with so much lighting now at harsher levels the warm white seems yellower. It was similar with car headlights, when halogen lights came in they seemed a lot whiter than the ones they were replacing.
    Thing is with halogen lamps , if you get a finger mark on them it reduces thier lifespan so will blow much more often

Leave a comment:

Working...
X