• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are badly paid jobs funner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are badly paid jobs funner?

If you got the same take home pay from a £70,000 a year job/contract as you would for a £130,000 one, which one would you take?

I’m thinking the lower paid job might be a bit more relaxed. But then I think I might be lower down the totem pole making it more stressful.

The high paying jobs tend to be in finance which can be a bit dull, are there some other industries (gaming?) where the people are a bit more alive?

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    If you got the same take home pay from a £70,000 a year job/contract as you would for a £130,000 one, which one would you take?

I’m thinking the lower paid job might be a bit more relaxed. But then I think I might be lower down the totem pole making it more stressful.

The high paying jobs tend to be in finance which can be a bit dull, are there some other industries (gaming?) where the people are a bit more alive?
    Please tell me this isn't a serious question? You've got to how old and still think the take home of a job is relative to the amount of stress? Jesus wept.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

JFC, you do post a lot of old pap...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        JFC, you do post a lot of old pap...
        Doxxing shouldn’t be allowed!

Aside from that, I’ve found that my badly paid jobs have mostly been more fun than the high paying ones. Know that there’s a lot of poor permies on this board nowadays and I was thinking of joining them for an easy life.

Comment

£70k a badly paid job? Some of you on here really need a reality check.

I have a carer friend, she looks after end of life patients (so weekly she will be caring for a patient one day who didn't make it through the night). She gets not much more than minimum wage. she works shifts including weekends and very unsociable hours. Based on your logic she must have an absolute ball every day she goes to work!

FFS, there really are some idiots on here.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            £70k a badly paid job? Some of you on here really need a reality check.

I have a carer friend, she looks after end of life patients (so weekly she will be caring for a patient one day who didn't make it through the night). She gets not much more than minimum wage. she works shifts including weekends and very unsociable hours. Based on your logic she must have an absolute ball every day she goes to work!

FFS, there really are some idiots on here.
            I think you should really see the figure related to context context. In central london is crap, barely above living wage. In midlands is gold.

And your friend, the essential worker is paid probably from different considerations. To actually not stop working. How the job market actually works today I think it is a bit more complex than... oh NHS workers are essential we just can't live without them. There are different levels and considerations. I would advise David Graeber Bulltulip Jobs.

And to get back on topic.

Usually better budgets attract better managers. Is not a given but usually managers dictate the dynamic of the team.

Better budgets and a well funded team usually means they are not recruiting the bare minimum to prod along and when someone from the team leaves because burn-out is on horizon, the work does not get re-distributed to the other parts of the team.
            Good managers fight and recruit additional resources to account for turnover.

Usually I would chase the manager... but that can change as well as people switch jobs.

I would avoid start-ups, smaller businesses, and places you are the only one in the team or <3 people. Most likely life will be difficult around there. There has always been a disconnect between how a project is run and what business people want and what the technical side entails... if the team is barely existent you can deduce the outcome from there.

I would avoid as well consulting business, and this coming from someone spending most of the career around there. You get the option of taking different clients but above all it is about making a good buck. So they will place you to the highest paying client or push you to take additional work. Maybe 2 projects full time. They invoice 3x your salary at least for each of the roles than show you the door when business goes tough and depending on the connections or how rogue your immediate manager is.

It is complex question to ask but I believe I would aim for the highest pay you could get and if you do not get put off by the interviews and people from the team than go for it. In my opinion there is no link. Quite the opposite, inverse correlation.

Better go as a contractor, you get paid a premium to take some crap and also you can save on the side to be able to switch jobs a whim without raising eyebrows next time you look. Permi is for loosers.
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 12 May 2021, 19:02.

Comment

Funner is not a real word.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I think you should really see the figure related to context context. In central london is crap, barely above living wage. In midlands is gold.
                [/B]
                £70k is not crap for London. Average salary in London in 2020 was about £41k so £70k is way, way above the average. You might not want to work for that, but many millions don't have the luxury of turning down that work.

And your friend, the essential worker is paid probably from different considerations. To actually not stop working. How the job market actually works today I think it is a bit more complex than... oh NHS workers are essential we just can't live without them. There are different levels and considerations. I would advise David Graeber Bulltulip Jobs.
                She doesn't work for the NHS, she works for a private care provider. The company looks after the most vulnerable patients at end of life. The people she and her colleagues care for quite literally can't live without their help, and yet as a society we pay these carers peanuts.

And to get back on topic.
                It is on topic. The thread title specifically says "badly paid jobs" and uses £70k as such. I argued that £70k is not badly paid, not even close to being badly paid.

I think I may have spotted why you're not being very successful in interviews as your attitude is very much one of privilege.

Better go as a contractor, you get paid a premium to take some crap and also you can save on the side to be able to switch jobs a whim without raising eyebrows next time you look. Permi is for loosers.
                Permi (sic) is not for loosers (sic). It's horses for courses. But considering you're struggling to get a contract then maybe perm is better for you

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Permi (sic) is not for loosers (sic). It's horses for courses. But considering you're struggling to get a contract then maybe perm is better for you

I have failed on many fronts in my life and probably there is place to fall even lower. I am quite honest about that.

On the salary side, I would like to disagree:

You are a self respecting professional, you should afford at least a 1bed in zone 1-3. You can't go further than that because you are be doing 12h every day so it will take a toll on you.

That is 1400 pcm + 250 for bills. minimum.

You need food, minimum is around 600 if you cook, if you don't 1000-1200 or even more. Let's go with 600.

70k is 4100 net per month from which you already have to take 2250 for the above.

Then you have clothes, dry cleaning, furniture, dental, maybe some dependants. Maybe you go out a bit. Maybe student loans.
                  You might have car as well. That is at least 1000.

You are left with 850.

Presumably you will put some money aside for 1 holiday per year, unforeseen expenses.

In real life scenario you'd be lucky to be left with 500 pcm, that is 6000 per year. It does not make any sense. You live to be able to pay bills. you'll never afford to save for a deposit.

And in a lot of places you could be fired on a whim, being left out with credit cards, bills etc. No employment rights before 2years so no severance package.

You went to uni, done the right thing, are an honest character and work hard to be able to advance in this world. And in exchange for that you get 6k per year. If you are lucky. It is a shame.

Comment

£70k is not crap for London. Average salary in London in 2020 was about £41k so £70k is way, way above the average. You might not want to work for that, but many millions don't have the luxury of turning down that work.
                    The average annual income in South Sudan is $460/year so by your logic $700 is a good annual wage? A good benchmark is to look at the house you can buy for 3 times salary. £70,000 is very badly paid unless subsidised by benefits (which it would be, so why I asked the question).

She doesn't work for the NHS, she works for a private care provider. The company looks after the most vulnerable patients at end of life. The people she and her colleagues care for quite literally can't live without their help, and yet as a society we pay these carers peanuts.
                    Personally, I hate those vultures who prey upon the dying, but I agree that they are not paid very well. I guess the big money goes to their bosses?

Comment

Working...
                    X