• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should transwomen be able to compete in women's sports?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should transwomen be able to compete in women's sports?

The argument against is that, as biological males, they would have an unfair physical advantage.

My daughter is a competitive swimmer. If she was competing at the highest level, I'm not sure I would regard it as fair if she was beaten by a transwoman.
    Yes
    3.33%
    No
    96.67%
    andyW ate my trans hamster
    0%
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      My personal view, right or wrong, is that you should compete in the 'sex' that you was biologically born. One of the main reasons I have this view is you could get some dodgy nations forcing sex changes in athletes just so that they can win more medals.

Caster Semenya though I thought was treated so badly. She was born a woman, has always been a woman and should be allowed to compete as a woman. She is physically a woman with enhanced male hormones, but that does make her any less a woman.

But, as with all these areas of society, what we think today, differs from what we thought 20 years ago and will be different to what we will think in 20 years time. The world is changing and us old foggies need to work hard to keep up
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

My personal view, right or wrong, is that you should compete in the 'sex' that you was biologically born. One of the main reasons I have this view is you could get some dodgy nations forcing sex changes in athletes just so that they can win more medals.
        You mean more of this - https://globalsportmatters.com/healt...of-ped-taking/

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This might not come across well but the whole idea of gendering sports is to give women an opportunity to compete, it only goes in one direction. Physically we are not the same. I don't believe there is a physical sport in the world where the best woman would even be top 100 in a mixed gender ranking.

So allowing a biological male to compete with biological females just doesn't make sense. It defeats the original purpose of gendering sports.

Now.... allowing a biological female to compete with biological males is perfectly acceptable. As long as hormone levels are kept to relatively natural male levels. Any female who wants to compete in a men's league/sport should be able to.

Comment

Sports is not the only issue.

Should transwomen have access to:
            Women-only scholarships and bursaries
            All-women shortlists
            Women's prisons
            Women's refuges
            Women's changing rooms and bathrooms

I guess there are similar issues with transmen but probably not as controversial.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Wot jayn200 said.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Caster Semenya though I thought was treated so badly. She was born a woman, has always been a woman and should be allowed to compete as a woman. She is physically a woman with enhanced male hormones, but that does make her any less a woman.
                I agree, she was treated terribly. So she has some genetic difference that affects her hormone levels, and maybe gives her some kind of competitive advantage, for which she was villified. Meanwhile, we celebrate other athletes who also have genetic advantages - whether it is Michael Phelps and his size 14, double jointed feet and crazy long arms, or Miguel Indurain's 8 litre lung capacity. At the end of the day, most elite level athletes probably have some sort of genetic advantage, so picking on one difference in particular seems rather arbitrary and unfair.

Comment

All genders and the disabled in electric wheelchairs should compete together.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No to prisons apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urt-hears.html

Trans prisoners 'shouldn't be allowed on female wings because they are disproportionately likely to commit sexual assaults on women', High Court hears
                    • Female prisoner called FDJ is making a legal challenge against Ministry of Justice
                    • It relates to the MoJ policy of placing trans women in female prisons in the UK
                    • She argues it discriminates against other women and exposes them to risk
                    At the hearing, Karon Monaghan QC, for FDJ, told the court trans women make up around 1% of the female incarcerated population, but are responsible for around 6% of sexual assaults in women's prisons.

She said that a 'disproportionate' 45% of trans prisoners in 2017 had convictions for sexual offences, including a significant amount for rape, compared with 4% of female prisoners in the same year.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X