• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The chancellor considers ‘extending stamp duty holiday by six weeks’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Stamp duty holiday to be extended to the end of June

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/...d-of-june.html

Very good news.

I'm putting my flat on the market in April. Stamp duty holiday extension and lenders easing their affordability criteria and lending more money means my buyers can afford to pay more for my wee flat. Mmmm....I can already smell profits

Comment

You think there is a realistic chance of getting an offer, agreeing a sale and completing before the end of June? It's possible, but things are moving very slowly right now by all accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
        You think there is a realistic chance of getting an offer, agreeing a sale and completing before the end of June? It's possible, but things are moving very slowly right now by all accounts.
        Depends on a number of factors. It could be possible but I too would be sceptical.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
          Depending on which bank you go to, you can potentially get a mortgage offer within a week (the lender is happy to lend to you and on the property).

Whilst there are always a lot of plates to spin, as long as you and your vendor have good solicitors in place and a bit of luck getting the searches back from the local authorities, I would say you have a reasonably good chance of being able to complete by the end of June.

I would of course budget having to pay the previous stamp duty rates rate and treating the saving as a bonus if you do manage to complete in time. The savings can then either be put back into the war chest for a rainy day, use the 10% overpayment facility of the mortgage and pay it straight off the capital or like Whorty, a new bike.

Comment

Yeah, possible maybe, although he mentioned putting his property on in April. I have read that some local authorities are taking 10 weeks just to do the searches!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post

Depending on which bank you go to, you can potentially get a mortgage offer within a week (the lender is happy to lend to you and on the property).

Whilst there are always a lot of plates to spin, as long as you and your vendor have good solicitors in place and a bit of luck getting the searches back from the local authorities, I would say you have a reasonably good chance of being able to complete by the end of June.

I would of course budget having to pay the previous stamp duty rates rate and treating the saving as a bonus if you do manage to complete in time. The savings can then either be put back into the war chest for a rainy day, use the 10% overpayment facility of the mortgage and pay it straight off the capital or like Whorty, a new bike.
              This ..

Too many are buying 'up' based on the £15k saving they are getting, but if they find they have to pay the stamp duty then the property is too expensive for them.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

This ..

Too many are buying 'up' based on the £15k saving they are getting, but if they find they have to pay the stamp duty then the property is too expensive for them.
                I think that for many buyers, the £15k saving makes it possible when it otherwise would not be, since this 15k is real (as opposed to borrowed) money, so they can stick it on the deposit. That either lets them borrow more, or perhaps even qualifies them for an mortgage that they otherwise would struggle to get with the current LTVs on offer (not that many over 85%, or not at good rates). Agreed that this is not a solid foundation on which to proceed..

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Very good news.

I'm putting my flat on the market in April. Stamp duty holiday extension and lenders easing their affordability criteria and lending more money means my buyers can afford to pay more for my wee flat. Mmmm....I can already smell profits
                  Depending how the extension works you, or your buyers to be precise, may not qualify. One option is the extension will only be for those who have an offer accepted by the end of March. If your flat doesn't go on until April then it may not qualify.

Of course, the extension may be exactly as now, so another hard deadline in June .... if the Tory plan is to get rid of Stamp Duty for another tax option then this wouldn't be a bad thing for them to do. Hit another hard deadline, get more public and business support to scrap stamp duty and bingo ... they can push their new tax through easier.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                  X