• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you put Bitcoin in an ISA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    You can buy shares in Argo blockchain which is a Bitcoin miner, via shares ISA. Shares were 5p last year and this month shot up to 100p.
    I was wondering about that sort of thing, although presumably the shares are not directly linked to the BC they own/create.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    not if you don't declare it. How they gonna know you've got it?
    Anyone filing an SATR is liable to audit, and I assume anyone running a Ltd is liable to have their personal accounts inspected for a business audit?

"Why is this money in your account" seems a reasonable query to me.

Also, I have no interest in fraud even if it's easy. Maybe especially when it's easy

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    You can buy shares in Argo blockchain which is a Bitcoin miner, via shares ISA. Shares were 5p last year and this month shot up to 100p.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't get the first part. If you'd put a grand in BC a decade back wouldn't that be a gigantic tax bill?
    not if you don't declare it. How they gonna know you've got it?

And if you want to cash out enough such that a large tax bill might be a problem then you exit BTC to an offshore bank.
    The biggest issue with offshore banking these days is getting the money in and out. Crytpo coins provide a route for that.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Bitcoin fell over 20% in the past 6 days from a high of $40k to under $32k.

For something with a market cap of over $0.5T, it's ridiculously volatile.
    That's why I'd only put a relatively tiny amount in and probably forget about it for a while.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Bitcoin fell over 20% in the past 6 days from a high of $40k to under $32k.

For something with a market cap of over $0.5T, it's ridiculously volatile.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't get the first part. If you'd put a grand in BC a decade back wouldn't that be a gigantic tax bill?
    It will only be a gigantic tax bill if you score much more gigantic profit

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    The premise of using an ISA is a bit irrelevant.
    For a start it’s so volatile that tax isn’t going to have much factor on your profit (or loss).
    And seeing as it’s an unregulated money laundering platform why the chuff would you declare it for tax anyway?

mi fone did this on tappy tawk

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    The premise of using an ISA is a bit irrelevant.
    For a start it’s so volatile that tax isn’t going to have much factor on your profit (or loss).
    And seeing as it’s an unregulated money laundering platform why the chuff would you declare it for tax anyway?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    https://twitter.com/breakingmkts/sta...90794763894785

TREASURY NOMINEE YELLEN SAYS CRYPTO CURRENCIES ARE OF A PARTICULAR CONCERN FOR TERRORIST FINANCING, MONEY LAUNDERING

What does that mean? UK, USA, EU will treat hodlers as terrorist funding criminals at some point soon...
    About 5 years too late, but better late than never

Leave a comment:

Working...
X