• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I _knew_ it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    I can't not do it. I learned to touch type on a typewriter way back in the day before computers were a thing in offices & it's automatic to me now. Can't stop, won't stop [emoji23]

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    IIRC double spacing makes sense for a typewriter. I forget the reasoning.
    Already? It's been less than 6 hours since I posted it.
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When non-proportional fonts were all you had, then double spacing made it easier to read. In these days of proportional fonts, they're just not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    The yanks? My mum (expert typist) taught me two spaces after a full-stop and I've been telling Yanks for years they THEY ARE WRONG to use only one.

EDIT: I guess I might be the last person to use 2 spaces after a full-stop
    IIRC double spacing makes sense for a typewriter. I forget the reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    At last, the penny (or dime? ) has dropped - The Yanks have been doing it wrong all this time!
    The yanks? My mum (expert typist) taught me two spaces after a full-stop and I've been telling Yanks for years they THEY ARE WRONG to use only one.

EDIT: I guess I might be the last person to use 2 spaces after a full-stop

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Phew, thought it was pouring petrol on the everlasting embers of the tabs v spaces war.

That show (Silicon Valley) is so spot on the dweebs think it's a tribute rather than a piss take.
    A friend of mine used to centre text by using spaces rather than the alignment buttons.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Last human to use two spaces after a full stop dies

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    When I "mistype" things, it's not an error, it's artistic expression.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Phew, thought it was pouring petrol on the everlasting embers of the tabs v spaces war.

That show (Silicon Valley) is so spot on the dweebs think it's a tribute rather than a piss take.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It should be a configurable parameter rather than impose one style or another.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Nobody tell Rees Mogg.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X