• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family's heartbreak as carer, 21, dies of coronavirus with boyfriend by her side

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Source? Her family stated she had no underlying health conditions. I would have expected them to mention asthma.
    The source is the original link provided in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Highland
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Source? Her family stated she had no underlying health conditions. I would have expected them to mention asthma.
    The mirror. Family's heartbreak as carer, 21, dies of coronavirus with boyfriend by her side - Mirror Online

Doesn't say where the information came from. Who knows.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    This is really sad, but it's wrong to suggest she had no underlying conditions that put her at risk - she had asthma.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Then why are there people, mainly young men, walking around coughing on people? Or delibrately not giving people distance and smirking when it's noticed?
    Toxic masculinity. See:

Dash cam: Driver faces GBP5,000 fine after footage shows car soaking pedestrian with puddle | Express.co.uk
    Last edited by Old Greg; 26 March 2020, 12:01.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    This is really sad, but it's wrong to suggest she had no underlying conditions that put her at risk - she had asthma.

I've had 2 major incidents of my asthma in the past 2 years, both times requiring steroids to bring under control (one of the incidents was triggered by a chest infection), yet I've not been classed as most vulnerable. Full blown asthma attack, lasting days, is no fun so I can imagine what people who get this virus badly are going through.

Now, I fully accept that there are people out there far, far more at risk than me so I don't expect any special treatment, but even so, I'm not going to test the theory that asthma sufferers 'should' be ok.

If anything, this poor girl has shown that any underlying condition, however under control, if it impacts breathing, lungs, immune system, then you will be at risk of this virus so be mega careful.

Edit: having read the Mirror () article it would seem the advice given to the ambulance service and 111 regarding conditions like asthma may need updating. Feels like it wasn't lack of NHS resource that failed this girl, but lack of understanding how poorly she was. I think the lesson here is, if you think you need a hospital, drive yourself there (i've had to do this a couple of times with my wife when 111 failed to send an ambo that they had promised - the second time resulted in an operation and just under a week in hospital!)
    I haven't needed an inhaler since 2014, thankfully. The missus has, though, convinced me to ring up and get a script for a blue one. I rang up and apparently there were a dozen more at our medical centre in a similar situation; getting the Ventolin inhaler just in case. As the other half said, if it gets worth, they may write you off buy we won't! She's correct, could make life a lot easier with a few doses of that a day rather than the worst happening.

As you say, I feel sorry for the proper wheezers for whom self-isolation will be a matter of life or death. There's one in our firm, no chance of him doing anything but WFH for probably six months at least. Could work well, really; all work from home and just hire a tiny office as a northern HQ with access to meeting rooms for anything face-to-face. It'll save me a fortune on commute and food and drink.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I think more than half the country has underlying health conditions. Overweight being an obvious one... remember standing in passport queue a few month back arriving in Manchester... think there was a US flight before me, a few notability overweight folks in shorts n t-shirts, you get the picture, standing there wheezing waiting to be served. Felt like I was downwind. They're buggered if they get infected.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

I've had 2 major incidents of my asthma in the past 2 years, both times requiring steroids to bring under control (one of the incidents was triggered by a chest infection), yet I've not been classed as most vulnerable. Full blown asthma attack, lasting days, is no fun so I can imagine what people who get this virus badly are going through.

Now, I fully accept that there are people out there far, far more at risk than me so I don't expect any special treatment, but even so, I'm not going to test the theory that asthma sufferers 'should' be ok.

If anything, this poor girl has shown that any underlying condition, however under control, if it impacts breathing, lungs, immune system, then you will be at risk of this virus so be mega careful.

Edit: having read the Mirror () article it would seem the advice given to the ambulance service and 111 regarding conditions like asthma may need updating. Feels like it wasn't lack of NHS resource that failed this girl, but lack of understanding how poorly she was. I think the lesson here is, if you think you need a hospital, drive yourself there (i've had to do this a couple of times with my wife when 111 failed to send an ambo that they had promised - the second time resulted in an operation and just under a week in hospital!)
    Last edited by Whorty; 26 March 2020, 10:08.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Surely not in Swisstopia?
    Well I know some of you think there's at least one.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Because there are nasty ignorant little in any population.
    Surely not in Swisstopia?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Then why are there people, mainly young men, walking around coughing on people? Or deliberately not giving people distance and smirking when it's noticed?
    Because there are nasty ignorant little in any population.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X