• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Law of Unintended Consequences... Covid again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Law of Unintended Consequences... Covid again...

I scribbled this down as we were having the conversation but... I have a friend in Germany (Connected through a car club, long story) and we have just had an interesting WhatsApp chat.. So I may have got some of it wrong as I can't always read my own writing.

Basically: In Germany, there's a traffic jam on the road into Poland caused by Polish truckers trying to get home.
    Poland has closed it's border and every LDTD that has been outside Poland has to be checked for CoVID before they can cross the border back into Poland.

So most of the Polish drivers are refusing to Leave Poland in the first place because it can take them days to get home, and their employers don't want to pay for them being sat in traffic jams.
    Most of the drivers are Polish or former Eastern European types because they are cheaper to hire.

Delivery of goods to and from and through Poland is breaking down. So many companies in Germany are closing production lines.

I think it's called a FUBAR?

Some proper lack of joined up thinking going on here. Glad we are surrounded by the sea and have container ports.

One good thing about Covid-19 is that all the morons and millennials have stopped going on about Brexit and Climate Change for 5 minutes.

Comment

Well I'm definitely not a millennial.

Just a bloke of 60 plus who has a friend in Germany who owns a 1934 Morgan. With a Ford flat head lump in it.

So the unintended consequences are that "someone" thinks anyone passing on good word of mouth intel is a moron. I'd post the photos but I don't give a tulip.

Says a lot about the mentality.

Comment

So all those companies that built JIT supply lines across the worlds cheapest countries to save a few quid are now royally screwed.

oh dear what a pity, never mind!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          One good thing about Covid-19 is that all the morons and millennials have stopped going on about Brexit and Climate Change for 5 minutes.
          Just make sure you don't misgender any pronouns.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The world is just one big Safe Space for you now.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
              Just make sure you don't mxgender any pronouns.
              FTFY

Comment

Well on my way to work today, which happens to be around 300km along the Autobahn there were bugger all cars but a heck of a lot of lorries, even traffic (lorry) jams, going in the opposite direction to Poland and it looked like many were East European as they quite often are. The borders are in fact open for goods vehicles and people who work cross border
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Polish border was just shown on TV, there are big queues but only because they're checking all traffic, i.e. as it was prior to Schengen
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                    Well I'm definitely not a millennial.

Just a bloke of 60 plus who has a friend in Germany who owns a 1934 Morgan. With a Ford flat head lump in it.

So the unintended consequences are that "someone" thinks anyone passing on good word of mouth intel is a moron. I'd post the photos but I don't give a tulip.

Says a lot about the mentality.
                    To a Morgan owner, that's 'nearly new'...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X