• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afghanistan Contract

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ghanistan.html

Turned this one down in the end though there was a part of me that wanted to take this on - misplaced sense of adventure I guess. I like an adventure

Anyhow, I had a phone call with one of the guys over there and soon had a reality check.

1) 550 Euros pd - you work 6 weeks flat out 7 days a week 12 hours pd. Don't get paid for your time out

2) You share a room with somebody.

3) You're expected to visit other bases by helicopter (me: Any chance of the Taliban taking potshots? him: Yeah, it can happen but the pilots are trained to avoid that)

4) Me: Don't the Taliban lob mortars and things into the compound? Him - yep, of course. 3 months ago we had 48 mortar attacks in the space of a week. But not to worry - the accommodation is rocket proof.

5) And this was the clincher. When you arrive in Kabul there's nobody to meet you at the airport and you have to make your own way from the airport terminal to the entrance of the NATO compound which means you get approx 30 minutes mixing in the Afghan general public. And it is, apparently, a very scary experience. So, F**k that...

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Turned this one down in the end though there was a part of me that wanted to take this on - misplaced sense of adventure I guess. I like an adventure

Anyhow, I had a phone call with one of the guys over there and soon had a reality check.

1) 550 Euros pd - you work 6 weeks flat out 7 days a week 12 hours pd. Don't get paid for your time out

3) You're expected to visit other bases by helicopter (me: Any chance of the Taliban taking potshots? him: Yeah, it can happen but the pilots are trained to avoid that)

4) Me: Don't the Taliban lob mortars and things into the compound? Him - yep, of course. 3 months ago we had 48 mortar attacks in the space of a week. But not to worry - the accommodation is rocket proof.

5) And this was the clincher. When you arrive in Kabul there's nobody to meet you at the airport and you have to make your own way from the airport terminal to the entrance of the NATO compound which means you get approx 30 minutes mixing in the Afghan general public. And it is, apparently, a very scary experience. So, F**k that...
    Yellow bastard!

AtW would do that gig just for tulips and giggles.

Where is AtW btw, is he still sulking after his ban?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You should definitely go.

Comment

One of my Esteemed Customers was telling me how much fun Afghanistan is.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I think a permi role in a forgotten place is worse.
          Spending the nights in a lonely hotel might not be any different, and new environment, different types of personalities, definitely should keep you engaged.

Comment

550 euros for a 12 hour day **** that. Even without it being afghan that works out way less than 350euros per normal day.

Used to work in Defence industry and I had colleagues who went out to Kandahar. Had to have the full body armour etc, helmet etc when flying in. And yes the helicopters do get shot at and yes they do bung mortars over - all the time.

Sharing a room was tulipe too. Basically, a shipping container. No a/c no windows.

BUT I know the permies I worked with got a SHEDLOAD of a bonus for going there. LOADS. One young lad went there for a month or two and had enough for a huge deposit on his first house. I think they're stitching you up like a kipper for that rate.

I also worked with someone who went to Basra, the place got hit by mortar first night, he got straight on the blower and said he wanted to go home. To be fair, the company did ship him home asap
            Last edited by psychocandy; 25 October 2019, 08:54.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

€550 per day Inskpe ?? some people get more than that for going for a tulip??
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It really isn't 30 minutes, it's 200metres, and tops 4 minutes with a suitcase, in a heavily guarded area at the front of the civilian side of HKIA. However the money is poor, i can't see the job, but wiremen are getting more than that, level2/3 comms support is more like £1k a day, with 3 flights included a year.

Comment

Working...
                X