• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Coloured' not PC anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If I said in 2020 there will be 8 black men in the Olympics 100 meters men's race, 8 white men in the Olympics 50 meters men swim. And Jewish people will get more Oscars than Mormons.
    My favourite recently was "I ain't no African-American, I ain't ever been to Africa, I'm American!"

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    At least you posted in the open this time, instead of just in my notifications.

Off you jog, ask them if "they" like being called coloured then come back and let us know. If you've got the balls.
    Do you practice being a prick or does it come naturally?

Me, I've got a natural talent but it took years of meditation in a Tibetan monastery to really hone my skills.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If I said in 2020 there will be 8 black men in the Olympics 100 meters men's race, 8 white men in the Olympics 50 meters men swim. And Jewish people will get more Oscars than Mormons.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I'll have to ask my South African coloured relatives you fecking snowflake.
    At least you posted in the open this time, instead of just in my notifications.

Off you jog, ask them if they like being called coloured then come back and let us know. If you've got the balls.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Why the need to 'classify' someone by their skin colour anyway? 'Black' people aren't black and 'White' people aren't white.

Would you refer to 'that Jew in the finance team' or 'the Dwarf in the testing team'? No.

I don't see why these Gammons get so upset by perceived PCness taking away their right to offend others. Well, I do, it's because they are a bunch of cretins.
    If I "offend" you, tough tulip. So you're "offended", so what.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Why the need to 'classify' someone by their skin colour anyway? 'Black' people aren't black and 'White' people aren't white.

Would you refer to 'that Jew in the finance team' or 'the Dwarf in the testing team'? No.

I don't see why these Gammons get so upset by perceived PCness taking away their right to offend others. Well, I do, it's because they are a bunch of cretins.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    If you call a South African coloured ,black, then I hope you have a good health insurance as you may end up in Groot Schuur hospital.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Groote

In South Africa, "Cape Coloureds" are a mixed race group

Cape Coloureds - Wikipedia

From wikipedia

"The term "coloured" is currently treated as a neutral description in Southern Africa, classifying people of mixed race ancestry. Since 1994, at the beginning of "The new South Africa", the term Cape Coloured became a badge of honor to this group of people.

Once used in the Western countries as well, especially so in North America, the term has shifted in meaning and is now regarded as derogatory in the Western World; a newly-coined term "person of color" has since become common and preferred by the members of the community and the general populace. This term tends to mean any non-white person, as opposed to a mixed-race person, where the term "multiracial" is used. "Coloured" may also be seen as offensive in some other western countries, such as Britain."

If you're in South Africa, use the term if appropriate. If you're in the UK, don't. It's not that difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I'll have to ask my South African coloured relatives you fecking snowflake.
    If you call a South African coloured ,black, then I hope you have a good health insurance as you may end up in Groot Schuur hospital.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Referring to people by their skin colour seems ok to me, in the same way as referring to their hair or eye colour. It's the classification of people according to skin colour that's stupid. "So and so is black". No, they're a chocolatey brown. Or have darker skin than the pale fellow over there.
    Wat?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Just read some comments on the Amber Rudd Tweet and apparently

"coloured" = not OK
    "Person of colour" = OK

For now...

Anyone know the woke term?
    Person?

Leave a comment: