• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some great contractor stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TwoWolves
    replied
    I worked in the City for 20 years, thereabouts. The worst projects by far are defence; a whole new level of muppet but worst of all they think they are the dogs-b*.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Thanks, enjoyed that. Although some of his stories seem a bit tame compared to what I could tell - when you've worked in the City, you'll invariably have come across some of the biggest and most incompetent bulltulipters - and what's more they'll have attitude.
    Yes, I agree with you, rather tame stories.

It reminds me of many years ago I contracted with one of the major UK banks. I was shocked to see that the credit-card transactions were sent overnight by modem to a PC in ASCII text and then saved onto a floppy disk. The floppy disk was then removed and and copied to a file-server in comma delimited text form and scripted into the customers account. Not only was there no error checking but also it was open to anyone to alter or delete text at will.

Some years later, the same bank was writing an online banking programme by a class idiot. it was full of security holes but they insisted they knew what they were doing until the inevitable happened...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Thanks, enjoyed that. Although some of his stories seem a bit tame compared to what I could tell - when you've worked in the City, you'll invariably have come across some of the biggest and most incompetent bulltulipters - and what's more they'll have attitude.

Leave a comment:

• gruntling
    started a topic Some great contractor stories

Some great contractor stories

While searching for Freelance Informer content I came across a number of wonderful old contractor stories by the late Malcolm Cowen.

True Life - Malcolm Cowen's Pages

Working...
X