• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking: Pimlico Plumbers loses Supreme Court appeal....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    If you are a disguised employee then you should be entitled to the benefits of employment.
    If *HMRC\client deem you a disguised employee (by ruling IR35 applies) then you should be entitled to the benefits of employment and the paying of employer's NI should be dropped from coming out of the contractor income and paid by the client.

*For me contractors of any kind, even doing similar roles\providing similar skills, are not disguised employees. But HMRC's deliberately blinkered narrow view allows them to act this way.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Have you ever considered that your lack of success in life might be down to your own (lack of) personal qualities, rather than some conspiracy?
      You do this every time, whenever anyone challenges your worldview you create a strawman ad hominem attack against whomever and ignore the premise. It's getting quite boring, people must avoid you at social events.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        You do this every time, whenever anyone challenges your worldview you create a strawman ad hominem attack against whomever and ignore the premise..It's getting quite boring, people must avoid you at social events
        You do this every time, whenever anyone challenges your worldview, you assume you must be correct and that your point-of-view is non-subjective.
        It's getting quite boring, people must think you're a complete dunderhead.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

You do this every time, whenever anyone challenges your worldview you create a strawman ad hominem attack against whomever and ignore the premise. It's getting quite boring, people must avoid you at social events.
          The ignore list and a little self discipline work wonders.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            The ignore list and a little self discipline work wonders.
            Yes it must be quite annoying to have your bubble of ignorance prodded. Much easier to hide away.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Do you think he ever gets invited to any social events?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Why would you pay for the accountancy costs of running a ltd if you were PAYE?
                One assumes that not all client engagements were "caught" (perhaps only those through agency channels) and that one would still need to operate a ltd. So perhaps 80% of income would be PAYE and 20% ltd, but the costs of running a ltd wouldn't change.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  If *HMRC\client deem you a disguised employee (by ruling IR35 applies) then you should be entitled to the benefits of employment
                  I don't think HMRC particularly care about employment law, the rights of employees, or indeed about anything except charging and collecting tax.
                  I believe that their only motivation to class workers as within IR35 is to get more tax. I don't think they particularly care if in the process, the worker continues to not be entitled to employment benefits or rights... as long as they are now paying more tax.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Yes it must be quite annoying to have your bubble of ignorance prodded. Much easier to hide away.
                    If your bubble of ignorance was ever prodded, the fallout would be horrific...

Comment

Originally posted by Scotslaw View Post
                      I don't think HMRC particularly care about employment law, the rights of employees, or indeed about anything except charging and collecting tax.
                      I believe that their only motivation to class workers as within IR35 is to get more tax. I don't think they particularly care if in the process, the worker continues to not be entitled to employment benefits or rights... as long as they are now paying more tax.
                      I think you're correct.

I just don't know how they kept straight faces in the meeting when they dreamt this up the first time around. Can you imagine it... "let's make them like employees and pay full PAYE on the company income", "but what about the employer's NI", "ah good point, but seeing as they're running a LTD company, they'll be employers, so we'll charge them that as well" Which to me is an admission I'm in business with all the associated risks and challenges.

Oh well ho hum.

Comment

Working...
                      X