• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Objecting to neighbours planning application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    Put in your own application for an extension which will be worse for your neighbour than theirs is for you
    You weren't paying attention, were you. The owners don't live there, so they won't give a flying wotsit.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you want serious answers a quick Google will find several forums that you'd do better to post on than CUK.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I don't think you have a chance. You no longer have a right to light which is the way is used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          I don't think you have a chance. You no longer have a right to light which is the way is used to be.
          The salad vegetable is correct, sadly. All the criteria one used to be able to object to are pretty much consigned to history.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            The salad vegetable is correct, sadly. All the criteria one used to be able to object to are pretty much consigned to history.
            Yes and no. The right to light argument might be moot now but that doesn't mean they can build any eyesore they want. You can still get refusal on adverse impact if it's big or changes the situation significantly. You've got to argue hard which is why I mentioned all the evidence gathering.

Examples of refusal reasons that have been upheld as examples can be seen here.
            http://www.bvps.org.uk/valid_objections.html

If it's just a couple of feet higher than what was there you might be on a wish and a prayer but if it's substantial you've still got outs.

A big fat bribe appears to still work looking at some of the ludicrous decisions made in our area.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Most of the NIMBY arguments to reject planning have been removed. Infact the permitted development is quite large, it might be that the far extension requires planning but the conservatory -> brick extension does not but is listed on the planning application for completeness.

The last time I faced a similar problem with my neighbour adding a huge extension, I ended up selling and moving on to a better house.

Comment

Objecting to neighbours planning application

Recently been through this ourselves with the neighbours to our back, building a 2 story rear extension. Find your local councils building policy statements and check to see if the application contravenes them in anyway. Keep emotion, value of your property etc out of it as it will be ignored

When we objected the planning officer came out, took some photographs and left. Received a detailed response 2 days later as to why all our arguments had been dismissed and that the application was approved. To be fair was expecting it but at least we tried. The neighbours might have a very shady back garden when the new trees are established
                Last edited by Acme Thunderer; 7 June 2018, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

A big fat bribe appears to still work looking at some of the ludicrous decisions made in our area.
                  As said above and certainly true of a North Essex Garrison Town Planning Authority.

I even establish the presence of the Great Crested Newt ion the area verified by London Zoological Society. My then neighbours paid for (forced to obtain by the planning authority) their own Great Crested Newt report which stated many, many incorrect facts and established that there were no Great Crested Newts within a 500m radius. My arguments regarding their building of a 7m x 15m swimming pool and associated building with kitchen, separate seating are, shower and toilet facilities were dismissed by the above council.

You only hope is by making and evening bigger bribe than the planning applicants. Money talks!

Subsequently moved house to a nicer area with no neighbours (within 400m).

Comment

If already dominated by one side and the other is looking to do the same, then either even up by sorting your own extension or move.

Sounds like there are already precedents in place with neighbouring property additions so any objections will be difficult to succeed.

If the owner doesn't live there what is the benefit of them doing this change? Get more tenants in, or improvement for easier/better selling? Any way of objecting or ensuring they follow the rules if they're looking to change to HMO or something different letting wise to what is currently in place?
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

In a past life I was chair of the planning committee on my local council. I don't know where you live, but I can imagine that they have similar processes to what we had.

1. If there are no objections, then the application can be approved by an official from the planning department. If there are any objections, it usually goes to the planning committee (a group of councillors). So get your objection in within the deadline.
                      2. At the meeting of the planning committee you probably won't be allowed to speak - they do this to stop neighbours arguing. The only people allowed to speak are the councillors, so get your local councillor on board. Call him/her up, get them to come round to your house and put the case you want them to make. They will also point out things you may not have noticed and will help to build the case.
                      3. Don't hire planning lawyers - expensive waste of money.

The most important thing is to get your councillor on board now, before your neighbours do. I can't stress this enough. There were many times I was asked to support residents in getting planning applications through after the planning department kept turning them down, and I succeeded. Why? Because it was my job to represent them to the council. It was not my job to make value judgements about the merits of their application - that was the planning department's job.

Now in terms of tactics. There are two applications: do not ignore the one that doesn’t bother you. Write to the council stating that you actively support it. Why? So they can see that you’re not just one of those serial objectors who oppose everything.

Go and talk to your neighbour. They should have gone over the plans with you first, but since they didn’t go and see if they would be willing to modify them. Don’t threaten to object – just tell them that you think the current plans would be detrimental to you and see if a compromise could be reached. If not, when you make your objection state that you tried to discuss an appropriate solution with your neighbour who flat out refused to compromise in any way.

You have no 'right to light'. However, you do have the right to enjoy the amenity of your garden. You can make a case on loss of amenity, but again your councillor can advise.
                      Forget precedent - each application should be judged on its own merits. Just because your other neighbour has done it and there has been a loss of amenity, it doesn't mean that this one can - the cumulative loss of amenity could be overbearing.
                      Also – don’t say it looks crappy. Say that it ‘is not in keeping with the rest of the neighbourhood’ or somesuchlike.

So call your councillor. That’s what they’re bloody for.

Comment

Working...
                      X