• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boys forced to wear skirts

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk
    Yes, I read what you posted. You said they had no other option. They do. They can wear trousers and not do what they want to. People can't always do what they want. It is called discipline, and a useful thing to learn at an early age.

Otherwise you may as well say that if children want to skip school, they have no option apart from playing truant.
    I said no other option if they wanted to be cooler. Your last statement is a bit daft and not relevant tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Those who wish can read the school's uniform policy, as of September 2017: http://www.chilternedge.oxon.sch.uk/..._2017-2018.pdf (PDF, 59KB). They may then speculate freely as to how much of a stretch the Daily Mail story is.

FWIW, my ultra-conservative all-male public school didn't permit either shorts or skirts back in the 1970s. I don't remember the Mail being up in arms about that at the time, or anybody giving a tulip really.
      Beat me to it and my comprehensive in the 70's didn't allow short either so this is just another story to create more gammon...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I said no other option if they wanted to be cooler. Your last statement is a bit daft and not relevant tbh.
        They have the option of not doing what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Those who wish can read the school's uniform policy, as of September 2017: http://www.chilternedge.oxon.sch.uk/..._2017-2018.pdf (PDF, 59KB). They may then speculate freely as to how much of a stretch the Daily Mail story is.

FWIW, my ultra-conservative all-male public school didn't permit either shorts or skirts back in the 1970s. I don't remember the Mail being up in arms about that at the time, or anybody giving a tulip really.
          You're trying to present facts to the £350 million per week brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            S'funny but back in 2017 shorts weren't part of the school uniform either: http://www.chilternedge.oxon.sch.uk/..._2017-2018.pdf

Makes you think that the purveyors of our morals have some kind of agenda
            I think the problem started when the head teacher was asked if the boys could wear shorts when its warmer, after all the girls can wear both skirts and trousers. The head said no, then said yes to the boys being able to wear skirts.

So it's not really news worthy, but it would make sense for the boys to be able to wear shorts rather than skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I'm officially triggered - mods can we please have a 'easily triggered because I'm a cretin ' smiley?

Off to my safe space...
              FTFY and here you go:
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I think the problem started when the ...
                ...Daily Mail Fan Club needed something to get their snowflake gammon blood pressure up, and rather than the disaster in Guatemala, or the shootings in the US, or anything like that, they decided the focus today should be on school uniforms, because that's worthy, while foreigners dying when religion or skin colour can't be blamed is irrelevant.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So, applying the analytical skills that are so lacking in gammon, this is what happened:

“I made some changes and introduced a more formal school uniform,” Miss Green[headteacher] told us.
                  Before, students could wear polo shirts and hoodies and there was not a specific footwear policy.
                  I’m frustrated that we’re working to improve Chiltern Edge and that people are talking about whether boys can wear skirts”
                  We want to raise standards and ensure pupils do well, pass their exams, and go on to become what they want to be. I think a formal school uniform is part of that.
                  I’m frustrated that we’re working to improve Chiltern Edge and that people are talking about whether boys can wear skirts.
                  I do not have an agenda. My only aim is to see pupils achieve. I haven’t said wear skirts”.

Alastair Vince-Porteous[parent at the school], from Caversham, told the paper:
                  “I wanted to try to make him a bit cooler and the shorts would help with that but I was told shorts are not part of the uniform.
                  I know that in the past boys at other schools have worn skirts so I asked if he would be able to do that if he wanted and they said ‘yes’.

I would have said "yes" too because the parent is obviously a moron.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Alastair Vince-Porteous[parent at the school], from Caversham, told the paper:
                    Sounds like a moron...
                    “I wanted to try to make him a bit cooler and the shorts would help with that but I was told shorts are not part of the uniform.
                    I know that in the past boys at other schools have worn skirts so I asked if he would be able to do that if he wanted and they said ‘yes’.
                    And there is the proof

I would have said "yes" too because the parent is obviously a moron.
                    Totally this.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      ...Daily Mail Fan Club needed something to get their snowflake gammon blood pressure up, and rather than the disaster in Guatemala, or the shootings in the US, or anything like that, they decided the focus today should be on school uniforms, because that's worthy, while foreigners dying when religion or skin colour can't be blamed is irrelevant.
                      I think it's a pretty poor article but by this logic we should not report on any minor news.

Comment

Working...
                      X