• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with mental illness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They aren't our employers. They are our clients.
    If inside IR35 (more precisely, If you are contracted to deliver services personally) the Equality Act still offers protection as if you were an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Crikey!! I cant imagine the long term effects of this kind of drug cocktail use. The more the body gets used to this, the more dependant you get and then it is just a downward spiral with no escape.
      The drugs I mentioned, Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine, are not all that addictive (takes years to build up tolerance to their effects), and there is no reason to believe the effects long term of this "drug cocktail" are any worse than medication taken long term for other illnesses such as diabetes, etc.

Describing it as a "downward spiral with no escape" is a worse case scenario and therefore a tad melodramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        The drugs I mentioned, Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine, are not all that addictive (takes years to build up tolerance to their effects), and there is no reason to believe the effects long term of this "drug cocktail" are any worse than medication taken long term for other illnesses such as diabetes, etc.

Describing it as a "downward spiral with no escape" is a worse case scenario and therefore a tad melodramatic.
        When did you start talking sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Indeed - but who am I...?
          Looking at your posts, some common or garden cretin. Which is why I mistook you for Whinestrone. Apologies.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Last night was a classic episode.

Went off to sleep pretty sharpish at 11pm.

Then I wake at 2 am. I'm feeling pretty tired and I think I'll be able to get back to sleep but the thoughts start kicking in and half an hour later I'm still awake.

Then the overriding thought becomes one of how crap I'm going to feel if I don't get off soon cause the alarm is set for 6am so I'm up in time for my 2.5 hour commute.

Then the bells chime 3am (earplugs don't quite block them out) and that little voice in my head tells me only 3 hours until alarm time.

By the time I get to 4am I'm thinking I can get a later train and just show up late and maybe still get another 3 hours sleep but then I realise I can't because there won't
            be any spaces left in the carpark so I must get back to sleep right now.

I don't and consequently I'm now wound up enough to not get back to sleep at all & I arrive at the office like a zombie and I'm just hoping the fake sanguine mask I wear
            doesn't slip over the course of the day and that I'm alert enough to solve whatever problems come my way today.

It's basically like being in first gear at maximum RPM all the time. Utterly exhausting.

Comment

Originally posted by Janes Rees View Post
              Last night was a classic episode.

Went off to sleep pretty sharpish at 11pm.

Then I wake at 2 am. I'm feeling pretty tired and I think I'll be able to get back to sleep but the thoughts start kicking in and half an hour later I'm still awake.

Then the overriding thought becomes one of how crap I'm going to feel if I don't get off soon cause the alarm is set for 6am so I'm up in time for my 2.5 hour commute.

Then the bells chime 3am (earplugs don't quite block them out) and that little voice in my head tells me only 3 hours until alarm time.

By the time I get to 4am I'm thinking I can get a later train and just show up late and maybe still get another 3 hours sleep but then I realise I can't because there won't
              be any spaces left in the carpark so I must get back to sleep right now.

I don't and consequently I'm now wound up enough to not get back to sleep at all & I arrive at the office like a zombie and I'm just hoping the fake sanguine mask I wear
              doesn't slip over the course of the day and that I'm alert enough to solve whatever problems come my way today.

It's basically like being in first gear at maximum RPM all the time. Utterly exhausting.
              Stay in a hotel nearer the client for at least a couple of nights per week - failing that, change your client.

No role is worth killing yourself for.

Next time before you accept a role, do a risk assessment.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Inneresting.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  Stay in a hotel nearer the client for at least a couple of nights per week - failing that, change your client.

No role is worth killing yourself for.

Next time before you accept a role, do a risk assessment.
                  Because of where I live, there's always a long commute.

Yes, I do stopover a couple of times a week sometimes but it still leaves me with 3 mornings a week where I have to be up with the lark.

I used to be more amenable to the full Mon-Fri stopover but, frankly, I find lonely hotel rooms somewhat soul destroying these days & I'm way too long in the tooth for shared accommodation.

Anyway, because of the way the industry had gone in recent years and because of the writing on the wall WRT IR35 etc I think I've convinced myself that I really need to get out of IT altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Janes Rees View Post
                    Because of where I live, there's always a long commute.

Yes, I do stopover a couple of times a week sometimes but it still leaves me with 3 mornings a week where I have to be up with the lark.

I used to be more amenable to the full Mon-Fri stopover but, frankly, I find lonely hotel rooms somewhat soul destroying these days & I'm way too long in the tooth for shared accommodation.

Anyway, because of the way the industry had gone in recent years and because of the writing on the wall WRT IR35 etc I think I've convinced myself that I really need to get OFF THIS FORUM altogether
                    and so you have, now - well spotted!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      and so you have, now - well spotted!
                      We wait for the next moronic incarnation with bated breath....
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X