• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit of help...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of help...

So lets just say the missus forgot to put the handbrake on the car and it rolled off the drive, across the road and knocked over the neighbours brick wall/post.

Now the damage is mainly to the post and end cap so I guess i need to replace the damaged stuff and probably get him an end cap for the other post to ensure they match.

Now while I can match the brick colour what i cannot match is the fact the rest of the wall is 20+ years old and the bricks are obviously discoloured in addition his soldier course is completely frost fooked and cracked.

Anyway I was going to try to replace the whole wall but the quotes I have are like £1700 for the whole wall but only £750 to replace damaged stuff, the two end caps and a new soldier course.

Whilst i do not want to start a neighbour war I kind of think him expecting a replacement wall cos he has not cleaned his bricks in 20 years is a bit much.

Anyone got any ideas around this stuff - what is the legal obligation?

Also was going to just let insurance deal with it - but would they send an assessor round before doing any work or just accept a quote from the local builders?

TIA!

Make the repairs, power wash the old bricks with a Karcher.

Comment

I’d just make the repairs. When he asks for it to match tell him you can do it but it will take 20 years.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        So lets just say the missus forgot to put the handbrake on the car and it rolled off the drive, across the road and knocked over the neighbours brick wall/post.

Now the damage is mainly to the post and end cap so I guess i need to replace the damaged stuff and probably get him an end cap for the other post to ensure they match.

Now while I can match the brick colour what i cannot match is the fact the rest of the wall is 20+ years old and the bricks are obviously discoloured in addition his soldier course is completely frost fooked and cracked.

Anyway I was going to try to replace the whole wall but the quotes I have are like £1700 for the whole wall but only £750 to replace damaged stuff, the two end caps and a new soldier course.

Whilst i do not want to start a neighbour war I kind of think him expecting a replacement wall cos he has not cleaned his bricks in 20 years is a bit much.

Anyone got any ideas around this stuff - what is the legal obligation?

Also was going to just let insurance deal with it - but would they send an assessor round before doing any work or just accept a quote from the local builders?

TIA!
        Google insurance claim betterment
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Is it an autonomous vehicle? How did it get through the garage door and go around the half mile of drive?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Is it an autonomous vehicle? How did it get through the garage door and go around the half mile of drive?
            Hill or slope
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              I’d just make the repairs. When he asks for it to match tell him you can do it but it will take 20 years.
              Would you feel the same way if some idiot bint knocked through your wall / house and someone patched it up with mismatching bricks?

Comment

Can you just wrap a bit of cling film around all the broken bits like this....?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Would you feel the same way if some idiot bint knocked through your wall / house and someone patched it up with mismatching bricks?
                  there's a massive difference between mismatched bricks and dirty fooking bricks.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Can you just wrap a bit of cling film around all the broken bits like this....?

coincidentally (and weirdly true) I was discussing earlier (in a pub) how scatologists should use cling film on the coffee table to make the clean up a bit easier.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X