• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Passports bveing made in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Passports bveing made in France

I dunno what all the fuss about really. These new passports produced in France willl look just like they do now.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Sorry to be boring with a more serious slant but..

I'm not bothered about the passport in particular as I gather all the actual security stuff will be done here but I do wonder if governments take into account all costs when handing out these contracts. When you keep a job in the UK the actual cost is less than the contract payment because UK businesses and workers pay taxes and less expenditure is needed on welfare. Paying UK companies also gives them potential to grow and expand our economy.

I suspect not, even basic logic is beyond our governments at times.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 March 2018, 12:05.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I'm not bothered about the passport in particular as I gather all the actual security stuff will be done here but I do wonder if governments take into account all costs when handing out these contracts. When you keep a job in the UK the actual cost is less than the contract payment because UK businesses and workers pay taxes and less expenditure is needed on welfare. Paying UK companies also gives them potential to grow and expand our economy.

The tendering process has to be "fair".

Unfortunately we have thick civil servants who run such processes.....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Glad to see it is not just The Daily Mail readers who don't like this move:

Unite slams plan to move UK passport makers to France

That is what the Labour Party used to be a few decades ago, one that fought for the welfare of the working British man.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Glad to see it is not just The Daily Mail readers who don't like this move:

Unite slams plan to move UK passport makers to France

That is what the Labour Party used to be a few decades ago, one that fought for the welfare of the working British man.
          More like 50 years ago grandad.

Comment

It is possible that the British company bidding thought they would be favoured over any European country and so bid about 50 million more ? I can understand bidding against a Indian body shop and losing a contract due to low cost offshore model but bidding against a French company and losing is something else and shows the greed of the company directors to make short term profit and trouser enormous bonus on the back of it.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Even worse is unemployment benefits processed in India
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Are they actually going to be made in France? Gemalto have plants in the UK where they already do some work for the government. Isn't this just the xenophobic right wing press pushing their own agenda and getting the 'Little Englander' all up in arms? Maybe the owners of these rags could drop their non-dom status and pay some tax in the UK? Maybe they could start a petition to bring back those public utilities that were privatised under the Tories and now owned by foreign firms back into British hands? Maybe the Tories shouldn't have privatised the Stationary Office who used to print the passports? Maybe British people should now only buy British? Maybe anyone who thinks that this is important is a ******* small minded moron...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                X